Allegan District Library
Board of Trustees
September 19, 2017
Call to Order: The regular monthly board meeting was called to order by President Kiella at 7:05 PM.
Trustees present: Kevin Huff
Also present were: Ryan Deery, Director
Devin Erlandson, Assistant Director
Evelyn Lyzenga, Administrative Assistant
Pledge: Pledge of allegiance was recited by all present.
Corrections/additions to the agenda, excusing of absences:
• Director Deery requested his building update be made item #1 under Old Business.
• President Kiella withdrew the USDA Rural Development Loan Resolution, item #2 under New Business from the agenda.
• Assistant Director Erlandson stated a correction has been made to the minutes of the building committee of August 22nd. She has corrected the date to August 24th.
President Kiella asked if there were any other corrections or additions to the agenda; hearing none, he stated the agenda will stand as amended.
Motion: Trustee Behm moved to excuse Trustee Antkoviak, Trustee Huff support, passed.
Verification of Quorum: Quorum is present.
Motion: Trustee McLeod moved to accept the consent agenda, Trustee Buese support, passed.
Public Comment: none
Action on Committee Reports:
1. Personnel Policy Change: Personnel Policy Change: Trustee Buese stated this change is to the definitions of Regular Part-Time and Part-Time employee positions and the hours worked associated with each definition. Part-Time employees are re-defined as those that work up to but less than 25 hours whereas Regular Part-Time employees are defined as those that work at least 25 hours but less than 40. She turned the discussion over to Assistant Director Erlandson who discussed the reasons behind this change.
Motion: Trustee Buese moved to approve the definition change to ADL’s personnel policy as purposed, Trustee McLeod support, passed.
Action on bills to be paid: For the record, Director Deery presented general fund bills for August 2017 of $20,483.13, Capital Building Fund August 2017 monthly bills of $2,303.66 and August 2017 payroll of $22,949.83, for total August bills and payroll of $45,736.62.
Motion: Trustee McDaniel moved to pay the bills for August of $45,736.62, Trustee Huff support, passed.
Communication – none.
Building Update: Director Deery updated the Board. Discussion points included:
• Shoring for demolition
• Impact of demolition to the Burnett and Kastran law office
• Photography of demolition
• Completion of Construction Documents
• Donation Opportunities and Recognition: An ad-hoc committee made up of Betty McDaniel, Sue Buese, and Ryan Deery was formed to begin work on this.
1. Millage Committee and Proposal: President Kiella noted that our operating millage expires in 2019 however the cost of a ballot initiative held during an odd year is undertaken by the authority placing the initiative on the ballot. Therefore, a 2018 election is necessary. Director Deery noted that it is time to begin the planning and preparation process however due to the Building Project, seeking help from an outside consultant was recommended. Director Deery requested a proposal from Polly Koenigsknect for this purpose which was then discussed. Points of discussion included:
a. Polly’s previous experience with the library
b. Potential Advocacy Committee candidates
c. Legal restrictions on employee and Board Member participation
Board Members Comments
Trustee Behm praised Director Deery for the good connections he has made. Trustee McLeod wants to see the demolition. Trustee Buese said the personnel committee is doing a good job. Trustees Huff and McDaniel expressed thanks for all the good work by this board and the committees. Assistant Director Erlandson was thankful to work here. Director Deery is excited to see the construction action going.
By acclaim the meeting was adjourned at 8:o4 PM. Next board meeting is October 17, 2017.