Allegan District Library
Board of Trustees
September 18, 2018
Call to Order: The regular monthly board meeting was called to order by President Kiella at 7:00 PM.
Also present: Ryan Deery, Director
Devin Erlandson, Assistant Director
Evelyn Lyzenga, Administrative Assistant
Jason Mitchel, Auditor with Vredeveld Haefner LLC
Pledge: Pledge of Allegiance was recited by all present.
Corrections/additions to the agenda, excusing of absences: President Kiella amended the agenda with following additions and correction:
• adding to Old Business
1. Motion for Application for Appointment
2. Refer audit to committee
3. Sale of old furniture
4. Budget and Finance Committee report in packet re: investment
• Adding to New Business
1. Library Sign branding
2. Committee appointment
3. November election ballot
• Correction under Public Comment – add motion to audit presentation
Motion: Trustee Behm moved to accept agenda as so amended, Trustee Huff support, passed.
Verification of Quorum: Quorum is present.
Motion: Trustee Buese moved to accept the consent agenda, Trustee McLeod support, passed.
1. 2017-2018 Audit Presentation & Motion-Jason Mitchell, Vredevedl & Haefner
Motion: Trustee Buese moved to hear and accept the audit report, Trustee Huff support.
Jason Mitchell of Vredeveld Haefner presented the key findings of the audit. He noted that due to the Library Improvement Project funded by a USDA loan, a federal audit was necessary in addition to the standard audit. He also noted that part of the library’s capital assets are now Long Term Debt and Interest as a result of the building project. President Kiella thanked Jason for the work of the audit.
Action on Committee Reports:
1. Proposed Library Closure – Motion: Director Deery said the library will need to be closed at least two weeks for moving into the new building. At this point he stated it is to be October 22nd to November 5th. Of course, he said that could change or be extended if need be. Jamie of Christman Co. will know on Wednesday regarding delays of the elevator, ceiling materials and windows and their impact on these dates.
Motion: Trustee Huff moved to approve a two week closure approximately October 22 to November 5 or changed as needed, Trustee Behm support, passed.
Director Deery said he has started a calendar to schedule staff and activities during this closure period. In answer to Trustee Buese’s question Director Deery said the Friends would be able to get into their space sometime during the second week the library is closed. When asked about computer service, Director Deery said that unfortunately, no library service will be available during this period.
2. Furniture Disposal Process – Discussion: Director Deery discussed the process for disposing of the furniture that is no longer needed. This process will involve a public sale prior to disposal of whatever does not sell. The Board supported a preliminary sale for the staff before the public offerings.
Action on bills to be paid:
Motion: Trustee McLeod moved to pay the August 2018 payables in the total amount of $470,387.52; Trustee Buese support, passed.
1. Applicant for Appointment President Kiella discussed the vacant seat on the Board and the necessity to appoint someone to that seat. The appointment is for the period August 31, 2018 to December 31, 2020. One individual applied for the opening – Peter Savage, who was present at the meeting. President Kiella reviewed Peter’s application and resume. Peter Savage then shared with the Board his background and his reasons for applying to serve.
Motion: Trustee Behm moved to appoint Peter Savage to fill Betty’s seat and her term on the Board, Trustee McLeod support. A roll call vote was taken: Trustee McLeod-yea; Trustee Buese-yea; Trustee Huff-yea; Trustee Antkoviak-yea; Trustee Behm-yea and Trustee Kiella-yea. So moved and passed.
Trustee Antkoviak came into the meeting at 7:39 PM.
2. Action on Audit Proclamations President Kiella remanded action to the Budget & Finance Committee for a resolution of the audit observations allowed procedures to be given by June 30, 2019 or thereafter.
3. Sale of old furniture – This has already been discussed under Committee Reports.
4. Budget and Finance Committee Report dated Sept. 6, 2018 Director Deery discussed his conversation with Anne Seurynck, our attorney, in regards to the different ways endowments can be structured. The Board was in favor of establishing the legal framework for an endowment and remanded this to the Budget and Finance committee. Director Deery also mentioned that Steve Tibbets, the library’s financial consultant will meet with the Committee at their October meeting to discuss their current investments and potential for future investments.
President Kiella remanded to Budget and Finance a discussion of the uninsured monies mentioned in the audit. The board will hear this report under October’s Old Business as Item 2 – Funds at Risk.
1. Selection of Board Secretary President Kiella stated this position came open as Betty McDaniel was Secretary of the Board. Trustee Buese volunteered to be Secretary.
Motion: Trustee Behm moved to close Secretary nominations and accept Trustee Buese as Secretary, Trustee McLeod support, passed.
2. Ribbon Cutting Ceremony Committee Formation Director Deery requested that a committee be formed to begin planning a ribbon cutting ceremony for the completion of the project in March. Trustee Huff, McLeod and Buese offered to serve on the committee. Director Deery pointed out that Perrigo will need to be included with special activities planned for the teen and children’s areas they have funded. Trustee Antkoviak suggested the committee may want a co-chair.
3. Donation “Fish” Wall Naming – Discussion Trustee Buese led a discussion of the naming possibilities for the fish art installation that will also function as a donor recognition piece. After discussion, a straw poll was taken with all in agreement to name the installation the “Copper Shoal”.
4. New Exterior Library Sign Discussion Director Deery led a discussion of the possible options for the new exterior library sign. Considerations included:
o Font choice
o Color of the sign
o Capitalization of letters
A straw poll was taken with all board members in agreement to:
o Use the font depicted in the mock-up provided by the sign fabrication company.
o Match the color of the letters to the color of the window mullions.
o Only capitalize the first letter of the three rows of words.
Director Deery said the sign with be lighted with “commercial can” lights overhead.
5. One Committee Appointment President Kiella asked Trustee Savage if he would agree to be appointed to the Budget and Finance Committee. Trustee Savage agreed.
6. November Election Ballot President Kiella shared he and the Director were informed by the County Clerk’s office that even though five people on the board are running, there are only four seats on the ballot. This is due to an appointment to a partial term made two years ago and a miscommunication between the Clerk and the library. For clarity sake, it was noted that board is to have four seats to elect on a gubernatorial year election, such as this year November election and in a presidential year election, the library board is to elect three seats.
Board Member Comments
• Trustee Huff, Buese and McLeod welcome Trustee Savage to the board.
• Trustee McLeod shared that the Allegan Arts Council would like to partner with the library. Director Deery said it sounded like a good idea.
• Trustee Savage said he is glad for the appointment.
By acclaim the meeting was adjourned at 8:40 PM.
Next board meeting is October 16, 2018.