Allegan District Library
Board of Trustees
October 16, 2018
Call to Order: The regular monthly board meeting was called to order by President Kiella at 7:01 PM.
Trustees present: Michael Kiella
Also present: Devin Erlandson, Assistant Director
Evelyn Lyzenga, Administrative Assistant
Pledge: The pledge of allegiance was recited by all present.
Corrections/additions to the agenda, excusing of absences: President Kiella shared that Trustee Antkoviak was not able to attend due to family commitments.
Motion: Trustee Behm moved to excuse Trustee Antkoviak, Trustee McLeod support, passed.
Corrections to the agenda,
• Trustee Huff stated there is a correction needed to the Facilities Committee minutes to indicate that Assistant Director Erlandson was present.
• Assistant Director Erlandson said on pages 34 and 38 which are the bills to be paid reports, the correction is deleting “August” and correcting it to September in all places where shown.
• President Kiella struck out page 32 – Laptop Policy – to replace it with the correct Laptop Policy supplied by the Assistant Director after the board packet had been sent out.
• He amended page 4 of the September minutes under Old Business, item #2 to read: Action on Audit Proclamations and the sentence to be amended to: President Kiella remanded action to the Budget & Finance Committee for a resolution of the audit observations allowed procedures to be given by June 30, 2019 or thereafter.
• On page 5 of the September minutes after the second paragraph under item 4, Budget and Finance Committee Report add a sentence saying: The board will hear this report under October’s Old Business as Item 2 – Funds at Risk.
• President Kiella amended the Old Business of this agenda to include item #2 – Funds at Risk.
Hearing no objections to these corrections, President Kiella requested a motion to approve.
Motion: Trustee Huff moved to approve these corrections and additions to the agenda and other documents, Trustee McLeod support, passed.
Verification of Quorum: Quorum is present.
Motion: Trustee Savage moved to accept the consent agenda presented and amended, Trustee Behm support, passed.
Public Comment: None
Action on Committee Reports
1. Personnel Committee – Adult Program Coordinator Job Description – Motion: Trustee Buese and Assistant Director Erlandson reviewed the changes. Assistant Director Erlandson stated the main reasons for this update are:
• To update the title of this position to include “Coordinator” so this position would be in line with other ADL positions.
• This position is now abreast of additional responsibilities Billie Spicer is currently doing and the additional certification through the Library of Michigan Billie has acquired. Assistant Director Erlandson shared that these items raised the bar on the qualifications for this position.
Other discussion addressed the questions of the board.
Motion: Trustee Buese moved to accept the revised Adult Programming Coordinator Job Description, Trustee McLeod support, passed.
2. Facilities Committee – Laptop Policy Revision – Motion: Trustee Behm stated this revision makes the guidelines for the public clearer. He stressed it is very important to not have a laptop be left unattended in the library. Trustee Savage inquired as to what action would be taken in leaving a laptop unattended, Assistant Director said the staff and Director would determine that action by evaluating the incident and using common sense in the resulting consequence.
Motion: Trustee Behm moved to accept the laptop policy revised as presented, Trustee Huff support, passed.
3. Budget and Finance Committee – Investment Policy – Motion: Trustee Huff said the committee had met with Steve Tibbitts at their last meeting. He said Steve Tibbitts shared the library is limited in what investments we can have and that certificate of deposits are the most secure. Trustee Huff presented the Fund Balance Investment Proposal with its’ supporting documentation. In support of item 2 of this proposal, Trustee Huff stated Steve Tibbitts will find the highest yield for the CDs proposed: $100,000 in a 2 year CD and $90,000 in a 3 year CD.
Motion: Trustee Huff moved to direct Director Deery and Mr. Tibbitts to execute item #2 of Fund Balance Investment Proposal as stated:, Trustee Behm support.
Trustee Behm did state that if there is an emergency need for these funds before the end of the CD term, we would be able to access the monies. President Kiella did inquire as to where these monies show up on the budget; this was referred to the Director.
Bills to be paid: President Kiella requested for a motion to pay the bills in the amount of $671,378.47.
Motion: Trustee Savage moved to pay the bills, Trustee Buese support, passed.
1. Loan Policy Revision (Tabled May 2018) – Motion:
Motion: Trustee Buese moved to take this policy from the table, Trustee Huff support, passed.
Assistant Director Erlandson explained this policy is to remove all fines from all print materials to help remove barriers to using the library. She said this was presented to the board in May with a consensus on the content of the policy. However the Board chose to table the policy until Director Deery spoke with our millage consultant Polly Koenigsknecht who strongly advised the board against releasing this policy before the millage vote. Therefore the policy revision was tabled until the present. There was discussion.
Assistant Director Erlandson shared the intent is to put this policy in place in January 2019. She said a notice of this change will be going out in the winter newsletter, in the newspaper, and on our website.
Motion: Trustee Buese moved to accept the revised loan policy, Trustee McLeod support, passed.
2. Funds at Risk: When President Kiella asked Trustee Huff for a report, Trustee Huff said it was not brought up at the Budget and Finance committee meeting. President Kiella asked to have this report heard at the December board meeting.
1. November Meeting Schedule Due to the move and shutdown of the library from November 5 to 17th, President Kiella requested that the November Board meeting be scheduled for November 27, which is the Tuesday after Thanksgiving.
Motion: Trustee McLeod moved to reschedule November’s board meeting to November 27th, Trustee Savage second, passed.
2. Vote to exempt library from MI Public Act 152 with 2/3 majority Board votes – Motion: After some discussion led by President Kiella, he asked for a vote.
Motion: Trustee Huff moved to exempt the library from MI Public Act 152, Trustee Buese support. A roll call vote was taken: Trustee Behm – yea; Trustee McLeod – yea; Trustee Buese – yea; Trustee Huff – yea; Trustee Savage – yea; Trustee Kiella – yea. Passed.
Board Member Comments:
Trustee Huff stated he will touch base with Ryan to make sure the report for December is ready. Trustee Buese said the Friends are almost ready to go. President Kiella is very happy to have Pat Newbauer as chairman of the ribbon cutting committee. He said thank you to the endowment committee for the work being done.
By acclaim the meeting was adjourned at 8:12 PM. Next board meeting is November 27, 2018.