Allegan District Library
Board of Trustees
November 21, 2017
Call to Order: The regular monthly board meeting was called to order by President Kiella at 7:02 PM.
Trustees present: Kevin Huff
Also present were: Ryan Deery, Director
Devin Erlandson, Assistant Director
Evelyn Lyzenga, Administrative Assistant
Pledge: Pledge of allegiance was recited by all present.
Corrections/additions to the agenda, excusing of absences:
Motion: Trustee McLeod moved to excuse Trustee McDaniel, Trustee Huff support, passed.
President Kiella requested that the retirement letter be placed under New Business as item #2.
Motion: Trustee Behm moved to amend the agenda as so ordered, Trustee McLeod support, passed.
Verification of Quorum: Quorum is present.
Trustee Huff amended the minutes of the Budget & Finance Committee of November 1st to reflect the correct name of the credit union as Allegan Community Federal Credit Union.
Motion: Trustee Behm moved to accept the consent agenda and minutes as so amended, Trustee Buese support, passed.
Public Comment: none
Action on Committee Reports:
1. Movement of General Fund monies to Allegan Community Federal Credit Union for the purpose of protecting against uninsured funds-Motion needed. Trustee Huff stated this movement of monies action came as a result of our annual audit. The Capital Building Fund monies will stay at Chemical Bank.
Motion: Trustee Huff moved to have Allegan District Library move their general funds to a new account at the Allegan Community Federal Credit Union as recommended by the Finance committee, Trustee Behm support.
Discussion: There was further discussion inquiring about:
• The FDIC insured limit and its relevance to both accounts.
• The receiving of the USDA funds, property taxes and other avenues of income and the impact on these account balances.
The outcomes were:
• FDIC insured limit is the same at Chemical Bank as it is at the Credit Union.
• Per Director Deery, there will be a time during the year when both accounts will have a higher balance than the insured limit but due to the budget cycle, both will fall below the limit partway through the year.
• The repayment amount and when it is repaid is set by the USDA and will impact the Capital Building Fund. At this time the library does not know this information.
• Treasurer Antkoviak said the Budget & Finance committee has had this same discussion; it was decided the library may open 3 accounts to take appropriate care of the public funds but not at this time until more information is known.
2. Inactive Member Account Procedure President Kiella directed everyone to the procedure as outlined in the Board packet. He stated that after discussion at the recent Facilities Committee regarding efficacy of library fines and the charging of uncollectable fines, it was very clear the library needed a new procedure. At this point President Kiella directed the discussion to Assistant Director Erlandson who wrote the new procedure:
• She gave the current fines procedure used and proceeded to review the new procedure, giving the reasoning behind this change.
• Assistant Director Erlandson stated this procedure was arrived at upon conferencing with the library’s auditing firm and receiving their support.
• Director Deery stated this money has never been reflected in our audit since it is not real dollars but an accounting function of the library.
• Per Director Deery there will be an annual review of the member accounts.
Motion: Trustee Huff moved to accept this inactive member procedure as given, Trustee McLeod support, passed.
Action on bills to be paid:
Motion: Trustee Antkoviak moved to pay the bills for October of $51,405.62, Trustee Huff support.
Director Deery said the $10,000 from the Capital Building Fund for digitizing of the newspapers had been budgeted for and already has gotten favorable support. He thanked Assistant Director Erlandson for all her hard work on this project.
1. Memorandum on Audit corrective Actions
President Kiella led the discussion. He stated the auditor’s findings help the library improve its practices. He said this memorandum is a list of receiving and corrective actions taken; it shows a record of compliance.
Motion: Trustee Antkoviak moved to accept the memorandum dated October 30, 2017, Trustee Huff support, passed.
President Kiella requested a copy of the memorandum be forwarded to our auditor.
1. Update to Gifts and Donation Policy to Include Recognition through Naming – Motion needed Trustee Buese said this document highlights the current policy in blue on page 1. She stated the additional “Recognition through Naming” is on pages 2 through 4. Director Deery said these additions are in anticipation of the improvement project and a capital campaign for the project. He stated this is just the first step. Other outcomes were:
• Ad hoc committee was set up at this time and created this frame work.
• This could be separated into two policies.
• President Kiella asked that Trustees Buese, McDaniel and the Director to continue as the ad hoc committee and stay engaged with the process of this policy. So ordered.
• The Director will present to the Perrigo Foundation on December 13th.
Motion: Trustee Antkoviak moved to adopt the Gifts and Donation Policy as presented, Trustee McLeod support, passed.
2. Retirement Letter to Kimberly Allen President Kiella presented this letter for consideration of the Board. After some discussion, the Board members indicated they would like the letter to be restructured as coming from the Board.
• Trustee Huff appreciated all the work being done.
• Trustee McLeod said that Assistant Director Erlandson amazes her because she gets so much done.
• Trustee Antkoviak appreciates the moving forward on the building project.
• Trustee Buese is looking forward to the “Lenora Porter’s Book Store”.
• Trustee Behm appreciated Administrative Assistant Lyzenga on all the work she does. He appreciated that she went ahead and updated the Safety Data Sheet manual on her own. He also thanked Assistant Director Erlandson for the newspaper project.
• President Kiella said the Board has done a tremendous amount of work and acknowledged all the hard work of the committees. He is grateful and thankful.
• Trustee Antkoviak said the Board will celebrate Christmas at the next December board meeting. It was agreed everyone will bring something.
• President Kiella asked the Assistant Director if she had anything to share.
• She appreciates the kind words given her.
• Director Deery thinks we are making great strides.
By acclaim the meeting was adjourned at 8:25 PM. Next board meeting is December 19, 2017.