Allegan District Library
Board of Trustees
November 27, 2018
Call to Order: The regular monthly board meeting was called to order by President Kiella at 7:00 PM.
Trustees present: Michael Kiella
Also present: Ryan Deery, Director
Devin Erlandson, Assistant Director
Evelyn Lyzenga, Administrative Assistant
Pledge: The pledge of allegiance was recited by all present.
Corrections/additions to the agenda, excusing of absences: President Kiella shared that Trustee Antkoviak was not able to attend due to family commitments.
Motion: Trustee Buese moved to excuse Trustee Antkoviak, Trustee Behm support, passed.
President Kiella shared that Trustee Antkoviak wishes to ask for another night of the week for the board meeting rather than Tuesday. He will make this request after the first of the year. This is due to Tuesday being a standing night for his kids’ athletic events along with Saturdays.
Corrections to the agenda: President Kiella amended the Old Business of this agenda to include item #2 – Funds at Risk and item #3 – Food for December board meeting. Hearing no objections to these corrections, President Kiella requested a motion to approve.
Motion: Trustee Huff moved to approve these corrections to the agenda as so ordered, Trustee Savage support, passed.
Verification of Quorum: Quorum is present.
Consent Agenda: Corrections to the October 2018 minutes.
Motion: Trustee McLeod moved to accept the consent agenda as presented and amended, Trustee Buese support, passed.
Public Comment: None
Action on Committee Reports: None
Bills to be paid: President Kiella requested for a motion to pay the bills in the amount of $689,000.46.
Motion: Trustee Behm moved to pay the bills, Trustee McLeod support, passed.
1. Ribbon Cutting Committee Report: The Director reviewed the minutes of the committee. He stated that the timeline for this event will probably be known in 2 or 3 weeks when Christman gives the library a firm date of completion. In answer to Trustee Behm asking about for monies for this event’s budget and who is to direct this, President Kiella said the ribbon cutting committee should make a recommendation for funding which then will be approved by the Board. President Kiella stated the committee’s December meeting would be time for this.
2. Funds at Risk (funds not insured by FDIC): Director Deery said that Steve Tibbitts will address the Budget and Finance December committee meeting. Director Deery noted that currently, both operating fund bank accounts are within FDIC insured limits although the Building Fund Account is not. The B&F committee will have a report at the January board meeting.
3. Food at the December Board Meeting – President Kiella asked if the board wish to continue this and all agreed yes.
1. Endowment Resolution: Director Deery shared the resolution before the Board to establish an endowment. He stated this resolution was prepared by the library’s attorney, Ann Seurynck. The main points of the resolution are:
• It has all four kinds of endowment funds plus a series of procedures.
• It is an improvement as it gives flexibility with endowment funds.
Motion: Trustee McLeod moved to accept the endowment resolution as prepared by our attorney, Trustee Huff support. Roll Call vote taken: Trustee McLeod – yea; Trustee Savage – yea; Trustee Huff – yea; Trustee Buese – yea; Trustee Behm – yea; Trustee Kiella – yea.
• Trustee Behm mentioned that Trustee McLeod has a new email address;
• Assistant Director Erlandson and Director Deery praised the staff for all their hard work during the move and this time of transition.
• Trustee Buese, on behalf of the Friends, said the Friends are taking on the new “store” with an official opening December 3rd;
• Trustee McLeod was very excited about the new building and wanted to make sure the staff knows how much the Board appreciates their hard work;
• Trustee Savage had a correction to the first page of the general fund monthly budget for October, duly noted and corrected.
• Trustee Huff mentioned the new fine policy starting January 1st which is no fines on print materials. He related a story of someone who was not coming to the library because of fines; he said the very reason we are having this new policy.
• Trustee Kiella stated he was at the library the other day and saw a delightful moment when two front desk staff were inviting each other to review each other’s work.
• Trustees McLeod and Buese requested a memo of understanding be drawn up for the Friends. Trustee McLeod and Buese stated they would act on behalf of the Board and requested the Director be included.
Adjournment: By acclaim the meeting was adjourned at 7:46 PM. The next month Board meeting is December 18th, 2018.
Evie Lyzenga, Administrative Assistant