Allegan District Library
Board of Trustees
May 16, 2017
Call to Order: The regular monthly board meeting was called to order by President Kiella at 7:07 PM.
Trustees present: Kevin Huff
Also present were: Ryan Deery, Director
Devin Erlandson, Assistant Director
Evelyn Lyzenga, Administrative Assistant
Pledge: Pledge of allegiance was recited.
Corrections/additions to the agenda, excusing of absences Director Deery stated the April 10th Special Meeting minutes were amended to reflect the attendance of Trustee Sue Buese, Ann Dilcher and Lindsey Pickornick of Quinn Evans. President Kiella stated those amended minutes will stay in the consent agenda. President Kiella requested, if there is no objection, that Director Deery give a report on VERSO. Hearing no objection, he asked the report be number one under Old Business. Due to family obligations, Trustees Antkoviak and McLeod are absent.
Motion: Trustee Behm moved to excuse Trustees Antkoviak and McLeod, Trustee Buese support, passed.
Vertification of Quorum: Quorum is present.
Consent Agenda: President Kiella requested the minutes of April 10, 20 and 24 plus May 8 be removed from this agenda for minor improvements for the public record and place these on the June board agenda for approval.
Motion: Trustee Huff moved to approve the consent agenda and regular agenda as amended; Trustee Behm support.
There was no discussion.
Public Comment: None at this time.
Motion: Trustee Behm moved to open the public budget hearing for 2017-2018 budgets as of 7:11 PM; Trustee McDaniel support, passed.
President Kiella reminded everyone the library has a regular operating budget which is supported by .85 mills passed 8 years ago and a building improvement budget of .95 mills passed in August 2016. As requested by our accountant, Angle and Associates, and our governmental auditor, Vredeveld Haefner LLC, the library’s financials separate into two budgets to meet our legal requirements of the millages – one for the regular operating budget and the other for the building renovation improvement budget. Before we move on, President Kiella pointed out the typographical errors of 2016/2017 rather than 2017/2018 on the agenda, under items 1 and 2 of Action on Committee reports that pertain to passing these two budgets. So corrected.
Director Ryan Deery gave an overview of the regular operating budget for 2017/2018:
• Reviewed in general the process of coming to this budget.
• Income line items are stable. He just found out today per Equalization Office, that property taxes have a 1.6% increase over last year.
• E-rate has a decrease. E-rate is based on need and at this point we did not apply for as much money. Director Deery said the library does not know exactly what we will need in the future for our new building but can be adjusted later.
• With regard to expenses, Director Deery pointed out the adjustments that were made in various line items were done to more correctly reflect what should be charged to those line items. He also pointed out the difference between Legal Services under the regular operating budget and the Building Renovation Improvement budget.
President Kiella pointed out, for the record, this is a balanced budget for 2017/2018. Director Deery stated this budget reflects moving to increase programs and services to our patrons which reflects an interactive library.
Moving to the Capital Building budget – Director Deery reviewed this budget:
• There are two income line items – property taxes and delinquent taxes. Due to a sizable delinquent tax check recently received, delinquent taxes were added since 2nd reading of the budget.
• Under expenses, he said that there is an unknown nature of what those expenses will be; so what is shown is just an estimate.
• Digitization is part of the building improvement program.
• Bond payment was put into this budget since the 2nd reading
• Supplemental Operations is for opening the new library.
President Kiella thanked the Director and Assistant Director for their efforts.
Tony Garofalo of 1832 Arrowhead Trail, Allegan, MI, located in Valley Township, asked about Contributions and Grants line items. He wondered why these income line items are set at “0” for 2017/2018. Director Deery said that these two accounts are unknown amounts during any one year until such contributions or grants come into the library. This past year under contributions, the library received $7,926.40. Mr. Garofalo agreed it made sense.
Motion: Trustee McDaniel moved to close the public budget hearing, Trustee Huff support, passed.
Action on Committee reports
1. B&F Committee – Recommendation approve FY 2017/2018 proposed amended budget – Action required.
Motion: Trustee Huff moved to accept the 2017/2018 regular budget as amended, Trustee Buese support. Roll Call Vote: Trustee McDaniel -yes; Trustee Huff -yes; Trustee Buese –yes; Trustee Behm –yes; Trustee Kiella –yes. Budget approved.
2. B&F Committee – FY 2017/2108 proposed amended Capital Building budget – 2nd Reading
Motion: Trustee Huff moved to accept the 2017/2018 Capital Building budget as amended, Trustee McDaniel support. Roll Call Vote: Trustee Behm – yes; Trustee Buese –yes; Trustee Huff – yes; Trustee McDaniel – yes; Trustee Kiella – yes. Budget approved.
Action on bills to be paid For the record President Kiella presented the bills as general fund April bills of $15,511.35; Capital Building Fund April bills of $4,838.47; and April payroll of $22,226.33 for total April bills to pay of $42,596.15.
Motion: Trustee Buese moved to pay the bills, Trustee Behm supported, passed.
Communications – none
1. Report on VERSO: Director Deery stated that we are speeding toward VERSO, moving away from Alexandria. He said the library will be live by next Tuesday, May 24th. He stated the public push and reveal will be a little later to give staff some time with the new software.
New Business: None
Board Member Comments
Trustee McDaniel is glad to be serving on this board. Trustee Huff stated he loves to work with Ryan and Devin. Trustee Behm asked when will the demolition begin? In the recent Building Committee meeting Director Deery said that Christman was told to have a very quick turn around on the demolition which means bids will be sought for shortly. He did say that Christman’s contract must be approved by the USDA. The USDA has assured us of a two week turn around. USDA funding, as of today, has not been released to the states. He and President Kiella assured everyone that a special meeting will be called to approve Christman’s contract and the demolition funding.
Adjournment: By acclaim the meeting was adjourned at 7:53 PM. The next meeting of the Board will be June 20, 2017 at 7 PM.