Allegan District Library
Board of Trustees
May 15, 2018
Call to Order: The regular monthly board meeting was called to order by President Kiella at 7:01PM.
Trustees present: Michael Kiella
Also present: Ryan Deery, Director
Devin Erlandson, Assistant Director
Pledge: Pledge of Allegiance was recited by all present.
Corrections/additions to the agenda, excusing of absences:
One correction to the April minutes; so noted. One correction to the May agenda; so noted. Trustee Antkoviak is at a family function.
Motion: Trustee Huff moved to excuse Trustee Antkoviak, Trustee McLeod support, passed.
Verification of Quorum: Quorum is present.
Motion: Trustee Buese moved to accept the consent agenda items as amended, Trustee McLeod support, passed.
Public Comment: None.
Motion: Trustee McDaniel moved to open public budget hearing, Trustee Huff support, passed.
Appropriate notice for the budget hearing was posted. No members of the public were present.
Motion: Trustee Behm moved to close public budget hearing, Trustee McLeod support, passed.
Action on Committee Reports:
1. Budget & Finance Committee – FY 2018-2019 Proposed Operating Budget Approval: Director Deery informed the board the budget has not changed from the first reading. President Kiella reminded the board that after the yearly audit the board will need to approve moving excess funds from FY 2017-2018 to the savings account; this usually happens in October.
Motion: Trustee Huff moved to accept the FY 2018-2019 Operating Budget, Trustee McDaniel support. Roll Call Vote: Trustee Huff – yes; Trustee McDaniel – yes; Trustee Buese – yes; Trustee McLeod – yes; Trustee Behm – yes; Trustee Kiella – yes. Budget approved.
2. Budget & Finance Committee – FY 2018-2019 Proposed Capital Budget Approval: Director Deery informed the board the Perrigo funds have been moved out of this budget as they were received as part of the FY 2017-2018 Capital Budget, they have therefore been removed from the expenses as well. This budget will need to be amended over time due to the nature of construction. Trustee Kiella recommended a mid-year review in January 2019.
Motion: Trustee Huff moved to accept the FY 2018-2019 Capital Budget. Trustee McDaniel support. Roll Call Vote: Trustee Huff – yes; Trustee McDaniel – yes; Trustee Buese – yes; Trustee McLeod – yes; Trustee Behm – yes; Trustee Kiella – yes. Budget approved.
3. Personnel Committee – Director’s Evaluation: Trustee McLeod presented the committee’s review of the Director, Director Deery performed well in all areas and was recommended for a raise which was incorporated into the FY 2018-2019 Operating Budget. The Personnel Committee wished to thank Trustee McLeod for her efforts on this. Director Deery appreciated that the staff was included in his review.
Motion: Trustee McLeod moved to accept the Director’s evaluation, Trustee McDaniel support, passed.
4. Item struck from agenda after discussion.
5. Facilities Committee – Print Materials Fine Restructuring: Trustee Behm explained that it was the recommendation of Polly Koeningsknecht to wait until after the millage vote to vote on this item.
Motion: Trustee Behm moved to table discussion on this item indefinitely, Trustee Huff support, passed.
Action on bills to be paid:
Motion: Trustee McDaniel moved to pay the April 2018 payables: April 2018 bills of $16,892.58 and April 2018 payroll of $22,069.30 for the total amount of $38,961.88; Trustee Huff support, passed.
1. Millage Fact Campaign Update: Director Deery will be visiting township meetings, the City Council, Rotary, and the Chamber of Commerce to inform members and residents of the millage vote. Staff is being trained on how to inform the public; what is considered fact/informational. There will be three community information meetings held at the library, Director Deery asked board members if they would be present at these meetings.
Saturday, May 26, 9:30AM – Trustees Buese, McDaniel, and Kiella
Monday, June 4, 2PM – Trustees Behm, McLeod, and Kiella
Monday, July 9, 7PM – Trustees Huff and Buese
Trustee McDaniel updated the board on the activities of the advocacy group; they are putting together letters for fundraising, have updated the signs which will be available at Antkoviaks, will write letters to the Allegan County News in June and July, and plan to keep the committee at three members with volunteers. The advocacy group will be knocking on doors the last two weeks of July. There was additional discussion to have the board draft a letter of support.
New Business: None.
• All Trustees mentioned their excitement at seeing the foundation complete, and seeing construction moving along.
• Trustee McLeod is happy to see Director Deery in the community, especially with his daughter.
• After a question asked, Trustee Kiella informed the board he passed the oral defense of his dissertation, has attained his Ph.D. and will walk in the June 23 graduation ceremony.
By acclaim the meeting was adjourned at 7:46PM. Next board meeting is June 18, 2018.