Allegan District Library
Board of Trustees
March 20, 2016
Call to Order: The regular monthly board meeting was called to order by President Kiella at 7:00 PM.
Trustees present: Marty McLeod
Also present were: Ryan Deery, Director
Devin Erlandson, Assistant Director
Evelyn Lyzenga, Administrative Assistant
Tony Garofalo, library patron and member of public
Pledge: Pledge of allegiance was recited by all present.
Corrections/additions to the agenda, excusing of absences:
Assistant Director Erlandson corrected the minutes on page 25 of the packet to be minutes of the Budget and Finance Committee on March 7th. Correction was duly noted by the President. Hearing no objections, President Kiella stated the minutes were thus amended.
Director Deery introduced our newest team member, Melissa O’Sickey, the library’s Youth Services Coordinator for children and teens. He gave her qualifications and background. Melissa shared about herself and stated her goals going forward in answer to President Kiella’s inquiry.
President Kiella requested the report of Millage Advocacy Committee be placed after Public Comments on the agenda. He also asked to add “Members to be Elected” as item 2 under New Business. Hearing no objections to these changes, President Kiella stated the agenda was thus amended.
Motion: Trustee McLeod moved to excuse Trustees Behm and Buese, Trustee Huff support, passed.
Verification of Quorum: Quorum is present.
Motion: Trustee McDaniel moved to accept the consent agenda as amended, Trustee McLeod support, passed.
Public Comment: none
Tony Garofalo is heading up the Millage Advocacy Committee supporting the upcoming operating millage renewal election on August 7, 2018. He shared the committee is planning to raise money for the committee through fund raisers. He has seen the county clerk and the committee has Mr. Genetski’s full cooperation. Items discussed were:
• Yard signs – need to get vinyl & waterproof stickers to update the information on the signs; they will be placed on back porch of Antkoviak law office building.
• Will get a PO Box and a new checking account.
• Would like to limit committee to 10 people, more manageable in getting work done; asked for any referrals – will ask Ann Perrigo.
• Plans to meet twice a month at Valley Township offices.
• Would like to start fund raisers 1st of May – any suggestions please let Tony or Betty know – will plan to contact Iron Bridge..
• Run ads – wants to use list of those who endorsed the 2016 building millage; would like to send a letters to endorsers.
• Director Deery will provide list Polly Koenigsknecht has called.
Tony was thanked for his leadership and start of this group.
Action on Committee Reports:
1. Personnel Committee – Report on Exit Policy of Personnel Policy: Director Deery and Trustee McLeod reviewed the policy and decided to come up with a new one.
2. Budget and Finance – Amended Operating Budget – Motion:
Motion: Trustee Huff moved to approve the amended operating budget, Trustee McDaniel support
Trustee Huff deferred to the Director. The Director explained two expense line items were added to accommodate the Federal Loan Repayment. He further added all millage monies (both operating and building) will be deposited together in the operating budget per instructions of our governmental auditor.
3. Budget and Finance – Amended Capital Building Project Budget – Motion: Trustee Huff deferred to the Director.
Motion: Trustee Huff moved to approve the amended the capital building project budget, Trustee McDaniel support.
Director Deery reported under Income, the Perrigo monies received will show up under line item “contributions private”. There is a transfer in of $6,500,000 dollars – the whole amount of the USDA Rural Development Loan. He stated that under the Expenses/Building Project:
• the USDA requires the line items shown
• the State of Michigan decides what the numbering is for each line item
• The amounts for each comes from the GMP (guaranteed maximum price).
Action on bills to be paid:
Motion: Trustee Antkoviak moved to pay the February 2018 payables of bills and payroll in the total amount of $56,103.20; Trustee Huff support, passed.
1. Millage Renewal Library Materials Assistant Director Erlandson received a fact sheet, 30-second oral message and bookmark materials from Polly Koenigsknecht and shared them with the Board.
1. Resolution Submitting Millage Proposal-Ballot Language Approval: President Kiella reviewed this resolution prepared by the library’s attorney – it also includes the Library Millage Renewal ballot language.
Motion: Trustee McLeod moved to approve this resolution and ballot, Trustee Antkoviak support. By roll call vote: Ayes: Kevin Huff, Chris Antkoviak, Betty McDaniel, Marty McLeod, Mike Kiella; Nays: None; Absent: Susan Buese, Keith Behm
2. Board members whose terms are up this year
Everyone on the board is coming up for re-election this year except for Betty McDaniel and Mike Kiella whose terms expire in 2020. President Kiella reviewed the steps for re-election.
• Trustees Huff and McLeod welcomed Melissa O’Sickey.
By acclaim the meeting was adjourned at 8:10 PM. Next board meeting is April 17, 2018.