Allegan District Library
Board of Trustees
June 20, 2017
Call to Order: The regular monthly board meeting was called to order by President Kiella at 7:00 PM.
Trustees present: Kevin Huff
Also present were: Ryan Deery, Director
Devin Erlandson, Assistant Director
Evelyn Lyzenga, Administrative Assistant
Pledge: Pledge of allegiance was recited.
Corrections/additions to the agenda, excusing of absences: Due to family vacation, Trustee Antkoviak is absent.
Motion: Trustee Behm moved to excuse Trustee Antkoviak, Trustee McLeod support, passed.
President Kiella asked the Director to include the annual board attendance sheet in the July board packet.
President Kiella asked if there was any corrections or additions to the agenda; hearing none, he stated that the agenda will stand as presented.
Vertification of Quorum: Quorum is present.
Motion: Trustee Behm moved to approve the consent agenda; Trustee McDaniel support, passed.
Public Comment: None.
Action on Committee reports
1. Fine Forgiveness – Facilities recommendation – Motion required.
Assistant Director Erlandson gave the reasoning, background and conditions to a fine forgiveness week which is planned for September 2017.
Motion: Trustee Behm moved to approve any changes of policy to allow a Fine Forgiveness Week, Trustee McLeod support.
President Kiella thanked Assistant Director Erlandson for her work on this subject.
2. B&F Committee – Amending the current 2016/2017 Budget – Motion required. Trustee Huff lead this discussion on closing out the fiscal year with a balanced budget.
Motion: Trustee Huff moved to close the 2016/2017 amended budget, Trustee Buese support.
Discussion. Director Deery stated there will be a $3,000 surplus, may be more.
Action on bills to be paid: For the record President Kiella presented the bills as general fund May 2017 bills of $18,410.10; Capital Building Fund May bills of $3,591.00; and May payroll of $33,750.98 for total May 2017 bills and payroll to pay of $55,752.08.
Motion: Trustee McDaniel moved to pay the bills, Trustee McLeod supported, passed.
Communications – none
1. 4 Sets of Corrected Minutes for Special Meetings of April 10 and April 24; Corrected Minutes of Building Committee for April 20 and May 8: President Kiella said all these minutes were corrected as needed.
Motion: Chair moved to approve the minutes of April 10, April 20, April 24 and May 8, Trustee Huff support, passed.
New Business: None.
Board Member Comments
• Trustee McDaniel encouraged everyone to attend the special Board meeting on June 27th to review interior designs for the library.
• Trustee Behm stated that he will not be able to attend the special meeting on the 27th.
• President Kiella thanked Assistant Director Erlandson and Director Deery for their work on the interior layout and design of the library addition.
• Trustee McLeod stated that she will not be able to attend the special meeting on the 27th.
• Trustee Huff said that he appreciated the work Assistant Director Erlandson and Director Deery put into the budgeting process
• Trustee Buese recommended a book and author visit from former Allegan resident Jacqueline Taylor. Assistant Director Erlandson took note of the title.
• Trustee Kiella provided an update on the Building project and thanked Phil Siegler for donating his time to review the Christman contract.
• Director Deery provided a Building Project update.
Adjournment: By acclaim the meeting was adjourned at 7:38 PM. The next meeting of the Board will be July 18, 2017 at 7 PM.