Allegan District Library
Board of Trustees
June 19, 2018
Call to Order: The regular monthly board meeting was called to order by President Kiella at 7:00 PM.
Trustees present: Michael Kiella
Also present: Ryan Deery, Director
Devin Erlandson, Assistant Director
Evelyn Lyzenga, Administrative Assistant
Pledge: Pledge of Allegiance was recited by all present.
Corrections/additions to the agenda, excusing of absences:
Director Deery said he amended the 2017/2018 FY Final Capital Budget under Committee Reports, item 2, with new budget pages to replace pages 9 and 10 of the board packet. There was no objection to this addition.
Motion: Trustee Huff moved to excuse Trustee Behm, Trustee McLeod support, passed.
Verification of Quorum: Quorum is present.
Motion: Trustee McLeod moved to accept the consent agenda as given, Trustee Antkoviak support, passed.
Public Comment: None.
Action on Committee Reports:
1. Budget & Finance Committee – FY 2017-2018 Final Operating Budget Amendments – Motion: Trustee McDaniel stated that the library legally cannot overspend the budget. Director Deery said this budget does not show the original budget in comparison to how close the library spending came to that budget. He stated he will prepare that comparison for the next Budget and Finance committee meeting. Trustee Kiella stated that when the books are closed on June 30th the spending must be zero to the budget.
2. Budget & Finance Committee – FY 2017-2018 Final Capital Budget Amendments – Motion: Director Deery said he amended this budget to include the latest federal loan funds payment.
Motion: Trustee Huff moved to accept both of the 2017-2018 amended operating and capital building fund budgets, Trustee McDaniel support, passed.
3. Budget and Finance – Approval and Verification of designation for contributions – Discussion: President Kiella said this approval and verification is required per the Board’s bylaws.
Motion: Trustee McDaniel moved for approval of contributions for the past financial year as presented, Trustee McLeod support, passed.
4. Allegan District Library Staff Matrix Revision – Motion: Trustee McLeod directed everyone’s attention to the pay matrix comparison to peer libraries in the board packet and the two matrixes presented. Director Deery noted that the peer library comparison was done by Assistant Director Erlandson. During discussion, these points were noted:
• The library’s current matrix figures are included to compare with the revised matrix figures.
• Director basing his pay recommendations on our budget, goals of the personnel committee and the Board, what the matrix dictates and on performance.
• The matrix is a framework, not hard and fast.
• A person in a position can max out in their pay range.
• The revised matrix gets the library to a more competitive starting point.
Motion: Trustee McLeod moved to accept the revised matrix and pay schedule, Trustee McDaniel support, passed.
Action on bills to be paid:
Motion: Trustee McLeod moved to pay the May 2018 payables: May 2018 bills of $37,776.59 and May 2018 payroll of $34,824.01, and May 2018 Federal Funds bills of $424,716.02 for the total amount of $497,316.62; Trustee Buese support, passed.
Old Business: None
New Business: None.
• Trustee McLeod loves seeing the construction.
• Trustee Buese thanked the Director for taking the Friends to the Otsego library and Holland Herrick library to see the Friends stores there. She said it left a good feeling with the library’s Friends and their new space.
• Trustee Huff congratulated Professor Kiella on receiving his doctorate and walking the aisle on June 23 at Western Michigan University graduation ceremony.
• Trustee Antkoviak said he has heard lots of comments on the new building construction, even from out of town attorneys, everyone is very excited.
• Trustee McDaniel gave a review of the millage committee:
o has a small amount of money, looking for donations;
o sending out a mailing;
o going to go door to door;
o running an ad at the Regent;
o posting on Live Allegan and Positively Allegan;
o letters being written;
o millage signs are up.
• Trustee Kiella thanked everyone for all the work the Board has done over the past two years.
• Director Deery shared a trustee manual. He will make a copy for all trustees.
• Director Deery said that our millage consultant, Polly, wants a mailing to go to each person in the district and needs Board approval for the expense of this mailing.
Motion: Trustee Kiella moved to mail the millage postcard, Trustee Huff support, passed.
• Assistant Director Erlandson expressed her appreciation of the great job on the summer reading program and how it is fun and educational.
By acclaim the meeting was adjourned at 8:04 PM. Next board meeting is July 17, 2018.