Allegan District Library
Board of Trustees
January 16, 2018
Call to Order: The regular monthly board meeting was called to order by President Kiella at 7:03 PM.
Trustees present: Keith Behm
Also present were: Ryan Deery, Director
Devin Erlandson, Assistant Director
Evelyn Lyzenga, Administrative Assistant
Pledge: Pledge of allegiance was recited by all present.
Corrections/additions to the agenda, excusing of absences:
Director Deery asked to have two items added under Old Business: 1. Perrigo update 2. USDA update. Hearing no objections to these agenda changes, President Kiella stated agenda is thus amended.
Verification of Quorum: Quorum is present. All members of the board are present.
Motion: Trustee Huff moved to accept the consent agenda as presented, Trustee McLeod support, passed.
Public Comment: none
Action on Committee Reports:
1. Mid-year Budget Review-Discussion Director Deery reviewed this report in the Board packet giving detail to various budget line items. President Kiella thanked the Director and Budget & Finance Committee for this excellent mid-year financial report. President Kiella asked for this report to be added to the Board’s annual calendar.
2. Personnel Policy First Read: Discussion Trustee McDaniel requested the Board to review the policy with comments to be taken at the February board meeting. Trustee Behm asked for another look at section 7.13 PTO Benefit on Termination to address more flexibility. After discussion a change of a word was made in the last sentence of that paragraph.
Motion: Trustee Buese moved to accept the 1st reading, as amended, of the ADL Personnel Policy, Trust McDaniel support, passed.
Action on bills to be paid:
Motion: Trustee Antkoviak moved to pay the December 2017 payables in the total amount of $40,078.23; Trustee McLeod support, passed.
Communications: None. President Kiella did inform Board members that the library has been added to Pzifer’s donation list.
1. Perrigo Update Discussion: Director Deery updated the Board on the Perrigo Foundation in regards to the Library.
2. USDA Update Discussion: Director Deery stated that the USDA has given a set date for the closing of our loan as January 29th. Trustee Behm was asked to take pictures of the official signing.
3. Potential Donors: The Board’s ad-hoc Fund Development Committee consists of Trustees McDaniel and Buese and the Director. Director Deery said he met with Christman’s fund raising person this past week to discuss potential donors. Discussion continued about potential donors. The full Fund Development Committee will be meeting with Christman’s individual again on January 24th.
1. Election of Board Officers for 2018:
Motion: Trustee Behm moved to have Trustee Mike Kiella continue as President, Trustee McLeod support.
Motion: Trustee McDaniel moved to close Presidential nominations, Trustee Huff support.
Trustees McLeod, Antkoviak and McDaniel agreed that they would continue as their perspective Board officers.
Motion: Trustee Behm moved to nominate:
Trustee McLeod to continue as Vice President
Trustee Antkoviak to continue as Treasurer and
Trustee McDaniel to continue as Secretary
Trustee Buese support, passed.
By unanimous, affirmative vote, the slate of Board officers for this new year of 2018 is: Mike Kiella, President; Marty McLeod, Vice President; Chris Antkoviak, Treasurer; Betty McDaniel, Secretary.
2. Committee Assignments: Checking with Trustees in their committee assignments, the Board committees will remain as:
Personnel Committee – Trustees Buese, McDaniel, McLeod
Budget & Finance Committee – Trustees Huff, McDaniel, Antkoviak
Facilities Committee – Trustees Huff, Kiella, Behm
Building Committee is the Executive Committee of the Board
Millage Committee – Trustees McDaniel, McLeod
Friends Committee – Trustee Buese who was thanked for her work with the
Ad-Hoc Fund Development Committee – Trustees Buese, McDaniel & Director Deery
• Trustee Huff gave a “well done” to the Directors.
• Trustee Buese thanked Trustee Kiella for his focus and guidance of the Board.
• Trustee McDaniel thanked the Directors and Administrative Assistant Lyzenga for all their hard work.
• Trustee Kiella is very happy for the closing and especially thanked the Director for his work to this end.
• Trustee McLeod said she has been talking about our fine Board and the Library’s Directors everywhere she goes.
• Trustee Behm agreed with Trustee McLeod and with Trustee Kiella on seeing how well the Board works together.
By acclaim the meeting was adjourned at 8:18 PM. Next board meeting is February 20, 2018.