Allegan District Library
Board of Trustees
January 15, 2019
Call to Order: The regular monthly board meeting was called to order by President Kiella at 7:00 PM.
Trustees present: Michael Kiella
Also present: Ryan Deery, Director
Devin Erlandson, Assistant Director
Evelyn Lyzenga, Administrative Assistant
Pledge: The pledge of allegiance was recited by all present.
Corrections/additions to the agenda, excusing of absences: President Kiella amended the agenda as follows:
• Under Annual Meeting, insert item 1 “Appointment of Marty McLeod for term of January 15, 2019 to December 31, 2020” and renumber the other 3 items under annual meeting.
• Item #1 under New Business, insert Trustee Savage’s as leader of the Endowment Policy discussion.
• Under New Business, add item 2 “Loan Policy Amendment” by Director Deery.
Motion: Trustee Buese moved to approve the agenda as amended, Trustee Savage support, passed.
Vertification of Quorum: Quorum is present.
Consent Agenda: Comment was made that there is no Friends minutes or financial report included since the Friends have not had a meeting since October. Under Board member comments, there will be discussion about the ribbon cutting ceremony for the completion of the project.
Motion: Trustee Behm moved to accept the consent agenda with notations, Trustee Huff support, passed.
Annual Meeting: President Kiella entertained a motion to open the Annual Meeting.
Motion: Trustee Savage moved to open the Annual Meeting of the Allegan District Library Board of Trustees, Trustee Antkoviak support, passed.
1. Appointment to vacant seat on the Board
Motion: President Kiella moved to recommend appointing Marty McLeod to fill the vacant seat on the Board for a term of two years from date of tonight’s appointment to December 31, 2020, Trustee Buese support. Roll call vote: Trustee Antkoviak-yea; Trustee Buese-yea; Trustee Savage-yea; Trustee Behm-yea; Trustee Huff-yea; Trustee Kiella-yea. Passed.
2. Swearing in of the Newly Elected Board Members
Evelyn Lyzenga, notary, duly swore in newly elected Trustees Antkoviak, Buese, Behm, Huff, whose terms end December 31, 2022, and newly appointed Trustee McLeod, whose term ends December 31, 2020, to the Board.
3. Setting of the Board Meeting Dates for the Upcoming Year – Trustee Antkoviak requested moving the monthly board meeting to the third Monday of the month starting in April through the remainder of 2019.
Motion: Trustee Antkoviak moved to schedule the 2019 February and March Board of Trustee meetings for the third Tuesday of the month and to schedule the April through December meetings for the third Monday of each month, Trustee McLeod support, passed.
4. Committee Appointments: Trustee Antkoviak requested to remove himself off the Budget and Finance Committee until his obligations on the Building Committee are completed. Committee appointments are as follows:
a. Budget and Finance Committee – Trustees Savage and Huff
b. Facilities Committee – Trustees Huff, Behm, and Kiella
c. Personnel Committee – Trustees McLeod and Buese
d. Building Committee – Trustees Antkoviak and Kiella
e. Endowment Committee – Trustees Buese and Savage
f. Inactive Committees – Strategic Planning and Millage
For the record committee responsibilities are:
• Committees will create and maintain a monthly meeting schedule that permits the Director to attend.
• The Committee chair will provide the agenda and other materials to the Director prior each meeting.
• A Committee member will take minutes of the meeting and provide them to the Director or his appointee in time for inclusion in the Board packet.
5. Selection of Board Officers
Trustee Behm went first with nomination of president. In consideration of that position and a three year term limit for holding an office as put forth by the Board’s bylaws, Trustee Behm proposed the following motion:
Motion: Trustee Behm moved to set aside in this one instance for the purposes of leadership continuity while completing the library addition and renovation Article 3, Section 2 – three year term limit rule of the Board’s bylaws, Trustee McLeod support.
Motion: Trustee Behm nominated Trustee Kiella as President based on continuity of and the amount of work he has and continues to do on the building project, Trustee Antkoviak support, passed.
Trustee Behm turned the gavel back over to Trustee Kiella. President Kiella placed the names of:
Trustee McLeod as Vice President
Trustee Antkoviak as Treasurer
Trustee Buese as Secretary
Motion: President Kiella moved to close nominations as given, Trustee Huff support, passed.
Motion: Trustee Savage moved to accept the slate of officers as presented, Trustee Huff
Closing the Annual Meeting
Motion: Trustee Huff moved to close the annual meeting, Trustee Behm support, passed.
Public Comment: None.
Action on Committee Reports:
1. B&F – FDIC Insured Funds recommendation: Director Deery reviewed his report of researching 3 banking institutions in the area. His recommendation is Honor Credit Union.
Motion: Trustee Huff moved, based on the Director’s research, to have Director Deery open a money market account through Honor Credit Union, Trustee Savage support.
Just for the record the Director and the Finance committee will touch base so that the Director has the freedom to move monies as needed to maintain FDIC insured library funds.
2. Personnel – 2018 Retirement Funds – Motion: Upon the recommendation of our accountant and based upon our Personnel Policy, Trustee Buese recommended approval of $23,467.64 to the library retirement fund, to be allocated appropriately according to policy.
Motion: Trustee Buese moved to transfer $23,467.64 into the library retirement fund, Trustee Savage support, passed.
Action on bills to be paid: President Kiella reviewed the bills with a total December 2018 bills and payroll of $473,581.26. He entertained a motion to approve the bills.
Motion: Trustee Behm moved to pay the December bills and payroll in the amount of $473,581.26, Trustee Antkoviak support, passed.
1. Memorandum of Understanding between the Friends of the Library and Allegan District Library: Trustee Buese reviewed this memorandum and made a motion after discussion.
Motion: Trustee Buese moved to accept the memorandum as amended, Trustee Savage support.
During discussion Trustee Antkoviak requested this memorandum be tabled until he has a chance to look it over. President Kiella ask that the Friends Memorandum be placed under Old Business for the February Board meeting agenda.
Motion: Trustee Buese withdrew her motion.
2. Loan Policy: Director Deery discussed a change in the DVD borrowing schedule. Director Deery is proposing extending the limit on old DVDs a patron can check out on one card to 6 DVDs thereby allowing a patron to check out six DVDs total, with no more than 3 of which can be new DVDs.
Motion: Trustee Behm moved to approve the policy as changed, Trustee Huff support, passed.
1. Endowment Policy: Trustee Savage presented the endowment policy. Of note is the recommendation to establish an endowment committee of 3-5 members. He noted that it is also recommended that the committee charged with managing the endowment would provide space for a minority of committee membership to be community members rather than Board members. President Kiella asked that the Board be able to consider this policy for a month. He asked that Director Deery be the point person for questions. Points of discussion included:
• The management of non-liquid donations.
• Criteria and conditions under which we might refuse a donation.
• Making sure the library’s Gifts and Donations Policy for accepting gifts is consistent with this Endowment Policy and vice versa.
President Kiella commended the endowment committee for presenting a nice start to this policy.
Board Member Comments
• Trustee Behm said the ribbon cutting committee is meeting this Thursday, January 17th, at 10:30 AM.
• Trustees Huff, Savage and Kiella praised the New Year Eve’s celebration at the library. Per Director Deery there was 400-500 people here.
• Trustees Antkoviak and Buese said it is a very exciting time – just keep moving on toward the completion of our building and the ribbon cutting ceremony.
• Director Deery said we were able to get our state aid report in long before the February 1st deadline. He thanked and praised Evelyn Lyzenga for contributing and completing a large part of the statistics on the report which aided his part so he was able to submit the report by end of October 2018.
• Director also shared that Evelyn is going to retire after 10 years at the library. At this point her final day will be April 30th.
• President Kiella thanked Ryan, Devin and staff for doing all they have done. He thanked everyone for being able to be President and serve again. He also thanked Evelyn for being here.
Adjournment: By acclaim the meeting was adjourned at 8:22 PM.
The next month’s Board meeting is February 19, 2019.
Evelyn Lyzenga, Administrative Assistant