Allegan District Library
Board of Trustees
February 19, 2019
Call to Order: The regular monthly board meeting was called to order by President Kiella at 7:07PM.
Trustees present: Michael Kiella
Also present: Ryan Deery, Director
Devin Erlandson, Assistant Director
Pledge: Pledge of Allegiance was recited by all present.
Corrections/additions to the agenda, excusing of absences:
One correction to the January minutes; so noted.
Verification of Quorum: Quorum is present.
Motion: Trustee McLeod moved to accept the consent agenda items as amended, Trustee Buese support, passed.
Public Comment: None.
Action on Committee Reports:
1. Personnel Committee – Job Description Amendments from Staff Reorganization Plan: Trustee McLeod presented the staff reorganization plan which involves restructuring job descriptions to utilize current employee’s strengths. Some adult programs and administrative duties will be reallocated. The Youth Services and Programming Coordinator position will become a full-time position.
Motion: Trustee McLeod moved to accept the job description amendments, Trustee Buese support, passed.
2. Budget & Finance Committee – Mid-Year Budget Review: Trustee Huff presented the Mid-Year Budget Review created by Director Deery. There are a few income and expense variances this fiscal year; purpose of review is to identify potential future amendments. Most variances are due to the building project and additional building needs.
3. Facilities Committee – Proposed Completion Closure: Director Deery requested a two-week closure from March 25 to April 6, 2019, to allow for furniture set up in the addition and staff time to move and set up in the addition. He also requested to suspend committee meetings for the month of April.
Motion: Trustee Huff moved to close the library from March 25 to April 6, 2019, and to suspend committee meetings for April, Trustee Behm support, passed.
Action on bills to be paid:
Motion: Trustee Savage moved to pay the January bills and payroll in the amount of $434,802.98, Trustee McLeod support, passed.
1. Memorandum of Understanding – Friends: Trustee Buese will send amended Memorandum of Understanding to Trustees to review in advance of March Board meeting. Amended MOU adds no structural changes. Motion tabled for next meeting.
2. Endowment Policy Review: After discussion, Directory Deery requested to table this review for the March Board meeting. Motion tabled for next meeting.
New Business: None.
• Trustee Savage reminded the Board that pictures still needed to be taken. Trustee Buese will be absent in March, pictures could be taken at the April Board meeting.
• Trustee Antkoviak would like to schedule a walkthrough of the addition with the full Board. Director Deery and Chip Mast will facilitate.
• President Kiella would like the board to consider the historic monument in front of the library and possible future locations for the monument.
• Assistant Director Erlandson reminded the board of Evelyn Lyzenga’s retirement open house, March 12 from 3-5PM.
• Director Deery invited board members to bring appetizers/savory snacks to the open house, and informed the board he will be absent for the March board meeting.
By acclaim the meeting was adjourned at 8:13PM. Next board meeting is March 19, 2018.