Allegan District Library
Board of Trustees
February 20, 2016
Call to Order: The regular monthly board meeting was called to order by President Kiella at 7:00 PM.
Trustees present: Keith Behm
Also present were: Ryan Deery, Director
Devin Erlandson, Assistant Director
Evelyn Lyzenga, Administrative Assistant
Pledge: Pledge of allegiance was recited by all present.
Corrections/additions to the agenda, excusing of absences:
Assistant Director Erlandson corrected the dates given on two Building Committee minutes. Corrections were duly noted by the President and Board. Hearing no objections to these corrections, President Kiella stated building minutes are thus amended.
Motion: Trustee Buese moved to excuse Trustees Antkoviak and McLeod, Trustee Huff support, passed.
Verification of Quorum: Quorum is present.
Motion: Trustee Behm moved to accept the consent agenda as amended, Trustee Buese support, passed.
Public Comment: none
Action on Committee Reports:
1. Retirement Payout: Discussion: Director Deery explained the retirement payout as given in the board packet. It is duly noted that the Library funds their retirement 100%.
Motion: Trustee Buese moved to accept the retirement payout as presented, Trustee McDaniel supported, passed.
2. Budgetary Changes Due to USDA Loan Closing: Discussion: Trustee McDaniel and Director Deery explained the Allegan District Library Budgetary Changes as Necessitated by the USDA Loan Closing which is an addendum to these Board minutes.
Motion: Trustee McDaniel moved to approve the Budgetary Changes Necessitated by the USDA Loan Closing, items 1 and 2, Trustee Behm support, passed.
Action on bills to be paid:
Motion: Trustee Huff moved to pay the January 2018 payables in the total amount of $571,457.13; Trustee McDaniel support.
Note: The total bills for this month include the first Capital Building expenses paid by the USDA Rural Development Loan. President Kiella asked Director Deery to explain “non-reimbursable” vs. loan reimbursable Capital Building expenses. Director Deery explained that only expenses included in the GMP (Guaranteed Maximum Price Agreement) or approved in official change orders can be reimbursed by the USDA Rural Development Loan.
1. Personnel Policy Second Reading President Kiella shared that Trustee McLeod had some reservations about Section 12.4 Exit Policy. After some discussion the Board came to a consensus to approve the policy as is. President Kiella remanded to the Personnel Committee a review of the Exit Policy with a report due at the March board meeting.
Motion: Trustee McDaniel moved to accept the Personnel Policy as written, Trustee Behm support, passed.
1. Millage Renewal Plan: Discussion Assistant Director Erlandson gave a review of her conversation with Polly K. regarding the millage renewal plan as outlined in the documents Polly supplied to the Board for review and consideration. After some discussion, it was reiterated that this is not a new millage but a renewal of the library’s existing operating millage passed in 2009.
• Trustees Behm and McDaniel commented on the construction.
• President Kiella thanked the Personnel Committee and Budget & Finance Committee plus Assistant Director Erlandson for their fine work.
• Trustee Huff gave congratulations to Director Deery.
• Trustee Buese shared that the Friends were happy to hear that our interior designer, Geraldine is going to map out their space. Trustee Buese envisions a book store atmosphere.
• Assistant Director Erlandson thanked the Board for their confidence in her while the Director was home due to the birth of his son.
• Director Deery gave his appreciation to the Assistant Director and the whole staff while he was at home for the past two weeks.
By acclaim the meeting was adjourned at 8:16 PM. Next board meeting is March 20, 2018.
Allegan District Library Budgetary Changes Necessitated By USDA Loan Closing
1. In so far as the Allegan District Library must provide one checking account to be associated with the Capital Building Budget to be used solely for income and expenses associated with the USDA Rural Development Loan funds and one checking account to be associated with the Capital Building Budget to be used for income and expenses not associated with USDA Loan Funds, the Committee recommends associating Chemical Bank account #2510051143 with non-loan related Capital Building income and expense and Chemical Bank account #25516016808 for all USDA loan related income and expense. Further, this committee approves in arears the transfer on 1/25/2018 of $348,809.67 from Chemical Bank account #25516016808 to #2510051143 in order to bring the balance of the account associated with the USDA Rural Development Loan to zero dollars for the closing of the loan on 1/29/2018.
2. In so far as the Allegan District Library strives to be a responsible fiduciary agent, this committee recommends that a savings account be opened at Huntington Bank to be associated with the Library Operating Fund. Further, this committee grants the Library Director and designees the authority to transfer funds between the checking account and savings account associated with the Library Operating Fund as needed to pay all library expenses while maintaining monetary levels within the accounts near the FDIC insured level. This committee recommends approval of these transfers on a monthly basis at the Board of Trustees meetings to provide the necessary oversight.