Allegan District Library
Board of Trustees
December 19, 2017
Call to Order: The regular monthly board meeting was called to order by President Kiella at 7:02 PM.
Trustees present: Kevin Huff
Also present were: Ryan Deery, Director
Devin Erlandson, Assistant Director
Evelyn Lyzenga, Administrative Assistant
Pledge: Pledge of allegiance was recited by all present.
Corrections/additions to the agenda, excusing of absences:
Motion: Trustee McDaniel moved to excuse Trustees Buese and Antkoviak, Trustee McLeod support, passed.
Verification of Quorum: Quorum is present.
Motion: Trustee Huff moved to accept the consent agenda as presented, Trustee McLeod support, passed.
Public Comment: none
Action on Committee Reports:
1. Updated Personnel Policy Time Off Section – Motion needed Trustee McLeod said this section was revised because it was too long and detailed. Assistant Director Erlandson said this revision not only make this section shorter but also simplified language and process. She said the section as it was, did not fit how time off is implemented currently.
Motion: Trustee McLeod moved to accept the revision and recommendation of the Personnel Committee, Trustee Huff support, passed.
2. Youth Services Job Description Update Director Deery said with the departure of our current children’s programmer it became a perfect time to update the job description to strengthen it and modify some deficiencies.
Motion: Trustee Behm moved to update and approve the Youth Service Coordinator job description as given, Trust McDaniel support, passed.
Action on bills to be paid:
Motion: Trustee Huff moved to pay the November 2017 bills in the amount of $22,954.02 for both general and capitol building funds, November payroll of $34,325.26, for a total of November payables of $57,279.28; Trustee McLeod support, passed.
President Kiella called Director Deery to give a half year budget review at the January board meeting.
Old Business: None
1. Pzifer Foundation Update: Director Deery in discussion with the Board in seeking outside funding. Pzifer seemed to be a perfect fit. President Kiella shared research he has done on Pzifer’s corporate giving. He reported on the giving program through the Pzifer Foundation. Director Deery and President Kiella wrote to the secretary of the senior director of the Foundation to see if they are interested in giving a large dollar amount. We are still waiting to hear back.
2. Perrigo Update Director Deery and Geraldine presented to an advisory board of Perrigo employees in July and he stated he was requested to come back and present to the Foundation board on Wednesday, December 13. He handed out some visuals he used for this presentation which went very well.
3. Request to move all Committee Meetings to Wednesday, January 10th Everyone on the Board agreed to this change.
Trustees Huff, McLeod, McDaniel and Kiella wished all a Merry Christmas. Trustee Behm mentioned the Director was at the 100th birthday party for Ruth Berkin and again at the Book Club. He expressed his delight at seeing the Director around the community. President Kiella mentioned the upcoming election of Board officers at the January Board meeting.
By acclaim the meeting was adjourned at 8:03 PM. Next board meeting is January 16, 2018.