Allegan District Library
Board of Trustees
December 18, 2018
Call to Order: The regular monthly board meeting was called to order by President Kiella at 7:00 PM.
Trustees present: Michael Kiella
Also present: Ryan Deery, Director
Evelyn Lyzenga, Administrative Assistant
Pledge: The pledge of allegiance was recited by all present.
Corrections/additions to the agenda, excusing of absences: President Kiella amended the Old Business to include an item 2 – Memorandum to Friends; amend New Business to include item 2 – Interim & Initial Policies discussion.
Motion: Trustee Buese moved to approve the agenda as amended, Trustee Behm support, passed.
Vertification of Quorum: Quorum is present.
Consent Agenda: Trustee Huff pointed out Steve Tibbitts’ name is misspelled in the Budget & Finance minutes; so corrected.
Motion: Trustee Huff moved to accept the consent agenda as presented and amended, Trustee Buese support, passed.
Public Comment: None.
Action on Committee Reports:
1. Ribbon Cutting Committee – Budget recommendation discussion: Trustee Buese went over the particulars of the budget. President Kiella thanked Trustees McLeod and Buese for their hard work. Discussion on funding of this budget included line item authorization of $4500.
Motion: Trustee Antkoviak moved to allocate $4,500 for the ribbon cutting ceremony, Trustee Savage support, passed.
Director Deery said this event will be April 25th. Trustee Behm said it will include a short program of speakers, ribbon cutting and tours. The director stated that staff will be prepared to help.
2. FDIC Insured Funds: Trustee Huff gave the highlights of the Budget & Finance Committee’s meeting with Steve Tibbitts. Mr. Tibbitts recommended opening a second money market account as the best solution to insure all library funds remained FDIC insured. Director Deery will research local banks money market options and bring a recommendation to the committee. President Kiella asked the Secretary, Trustee Buese, to send a thank you to Mr. Tibbitts.
Action on bills to be paid: President Kiella requested a motion to pay the bills.
Motion: Trustee Antkoviak moved to pay the November bills of $38,695.66, November payroll of $24,953.83 and Federal Building Funds of $556,396.06 for a total of November bills and payroll of $620,045.55, Trustee McLeod support, passed.
1. Election of Officers: Trustee Antkoviak stated during the January meeting the Board will have election of Board officers. According to the Board’s bylaws a person can serve 3 terms in an office; Trustee Kiella has reached that limit. Trustee Antkoviak suggests the Board set aside this requirement of their bylaws to continue with the present slate of officers for the next year during the building project. No action at this time.
2. Memorandum of Understanding between the Friends of the Library and Allegan District Library: Trustee Buese is at work on a Memorandum that she will present to the Board at the January meeting.
1. New Board Meeting Time: Trustee Antkoviak would like to move the Board meeting to Monday as Tuesday conflicts with his children’s athletic events which are on Tuesdays and Saturdays. In discussion it was noted the City Council and townships meet on Mondays. No action was taken however allow trustees were asked to consider this change for discussion at the January meeting which will be on Tuesday as usual.
2. Initial and Interim Policies: President Kiella stated that with the new building has come the need for policies and procedures for such things as: multiple meeting rooms, Technology (digital) lab, co-municipality events such as New Year’s Eve event, and issues such as the fact that the sidewalks are the property of City of Allegan but if someone steps off the sidewalk they are now on library property, etc.
Board Member Comments
• Trustees McLeod and Savage mentioned the many positive community comments;
• Trustee Savage inquired about the installation date of the railings surrounding the new walkways;
• Trustee Huff mentioned that even friends in Kalamazoo were quite impressed by the new building;
• Trustee Behm thanked Director Deery for the library’s participation in Art Hop this year;
• Trustees Kiella, Buese and Antkoviak wished everyone a Merry Christmas in celebrating the holidays.
• Trustee Kiella stated the need at the January meeting for the notary to be present and affidavits for the swearing in of the newly elected board members who start their terms effective January 1, 2019;
• Trustee Buese thought of how fruitful the year has been and how the new building contributes to the community;
• Director Deery reflected how a year prior, the new building had yet to begin and now we are operating in an amazing new space– he stated the building project is and has been a team effort – both Board and staff.
• Trustee Antkoviak said that in looking ahead there are some challenges coming but everyone is well suited to meet them. He also stated that the Board will likely need to have some work sessions. He praised Director Deery – very talented, great proficiency in his work and has gone above and beyond in everything. Everyone present gave applause to the Director. As Treasurer of and representing the Board, Trustee Antkoviak gave the Director a year end gift.
Adjournment: By acclaim the meeting was adjourned at 8:27 PM.
The next month’s Board meeting is January 15, 2019.
Evelyn Lyzenga, Administrative Assistant