Allegan District Library
Board of Trustees
August 21, 2018
Call to Order: The regular monthly board meeting was called to order by President Kiella at 7:00 PM.
Trustees present: Michael Kiella
Also present: Ryan Deery, Director
Devin Erlandson, Assistant Director
Evelyn Lyzenga, Administrative Assistant
Pledge: Pledge of Allegiance was recited by all present.
Corrections/additions to the agenda, excusing of absences: President Kiella requested adding to New Business, item 2, Signage and Branding.
Motion: Trustee Behm moved to excuse Trustees Antkoviak and McLeod, Trustee Huff support, passed.
Verification of Quorum: Quorum is present.
Consent Agenda: Trustee Huff pointed out a grammatical error.
Motion: Trustee Huff moved to accept the consent agenda as recommended, Trustee Buese support, passed.
Public Comment: None.
Action on Committee Reports:
1. Facilities Committee – Security Camera Policy – Motion: President Kiella stated a couple of considerations were taken up by the Facilities Committee one of which was the time that video recordings were stored was changed from 30 days to 60 days. Other changes covered FOIA and legal requests for images; legal and lawful ways to handle images; Director and Assistant Director have the authority to handle images, and a specific work process for this policy.
Motion: Trustee Behm moved to approve the amended policy, Trustee Buese support, passed.
2. Carnegie Room Reservation Form – Discussion: President Kiella said this is a work process form. The change comes in the middle of form where the person reserving the room must agree and cannot include the library in their advertising to denote partnership or sponsorship with or by the Library.
Action on bills to be paid:A
Motion: Trustee McDaniel moved to pay the July 2018 payables in the total amount of $347,940.80; Trustee Huff support, passed.
Old Business: None
1. Fund Development Committee Discussion – McDaniel, Buese, Deery: Director Deery said discussion centered around the Fish Donation Wall:
• creating an endowment;
• funds set aside for a specific purpose;
• investments could be aggregated into the endowment and live off the earnings.
• Director Deery stated they had a breakdown for giving:
$500-$1999 – small fish
$2000-$4999 – medium fish
$5000 & up – large fish
All members present agreed with the giving breakdown for the fish and creating an
endowment; they encouraged the committee to go ahead. Director Deery shared that
there needed to be a name for the fish wall. He said various names from the committee
and staff will be considered.
2. Signage and Branding President Kiella passed around a Library Signage document which included five computerized drawings of suggested outside signage for the library. He reviewed the budget amounts for each. After review and discussion, the board members present verbally voted for drawing #2 for the outside sign along with taking out the old sign and capping off the electrical.
Director Deery directed the board’s attention to the construction schedule, showing we are going into the new building October 30 through November 5, 2018 during which the library will be closed which could be extended to be fully operational.
• Trustee Huff congratulated the millage renewal committee in bringing us the passage of operating millage for 10 years.
• Trustee McDaniel gave a report on the millage renewal committee and its efforts. She asked everyone’s help to take millage signs down. She is resigning as of September 1, 2018.
• Director would like to thank Trustee McDaniel for being on the board and on the renewal committee.
• President Kiella said according to the bylaws the board will appoint a replacement for Betty. There was a discussion of the selection process and qualifications needed.
• President Kiella requested adding to the September agenda an item to identify a Secretary for the Executive Committee. He also mentioned the audit will be given at the September meeting.
By acclaim the meeting was adjourned at 8:12 PM. Next board meeting is September 18, 2018.