Allegan District Library
Board of Trustees
August 15, 2017
Call to Order: The regular monthly board meeting was called to order by President Kiella at 7:00 PM.
Trustees present: Keith Behm
Also present were: Devin Erlandson, Assistant Director
Evelyn Lyzenga, Administrative Assistant
Pledge: Pledge of allegiance was recited by all present.
Corrections/additions to the agenda, excusing of absences: President Kiella requested adding, President’s Requests regarding findings from the Government Audit, under Old Business. He also requested an item #2, Policy on Awards, be added under New Business. He asked if there were any other corrections or additions to the agenda; hearing none, he stated the agenda will stand as amended.
Motion: Trustee McLeod moved to excuse Trustee Buese, Trustee Huff support, passed.
Verification of Quorum: Quorum is present.
Motion: Trustee Antkoviak moved to accept the consent agenda, Trustee McDaniel support, passed.
1. Presentation of the 2016/2017 Audit Report by Jason Mitchell
Mr. Mitchell, the library’s governmental auditor from Vredeveld Haefner LLC of Grand Rapids, MI, reviewed the audit and during Q&A, he answered all the Board’s questions, especially in regard to handling fiscal obligations with the building project. The audit gave the library the highest recommendation.
Action on Committee Reports:
1. Limited English Proficiency Access Policy – Motion required
Assistant Director Erlandson led this discussion. She mentioned that having a policy in place for limited English users of the library is one of the requirements of the USDA Rural Development for borrowing federal money. She explained all the aspects of the policy proposed and stated that all staff will have training.
Motion: Trustee Huff moved to accept the Limited English Proficiency Access Policy as purposed, Trustee McLeod support, passed.
2. Fund Balance Investment Proposal Trustee Antkoviak explained the investment proposal which resulted from the positive fund balance in the General Fund from the past fiscal year (2016-2017) confirmed by the audit. The Finance committee looked over the current investments and recommends the adjustments set forward in the proposal. These adjustments will be carried out by the Treasurer or if not available, the President of the Board of Trustees.
Motion: Trustee Antkoviak moved to approve the Fund Balance Investment Proposal as set forth with execution to be done by the Treasurer or if not available, the President of the Board; Trustee Behm support, passed.
Action on bills to be paid: For the record, President Kiella presented general fund bills for July 2017 of $22,211.05, Capital Building Fund July 2017 monthly bills of $4,149.82 and July 2017 payroll of $22,891.42, for total July bills and payroll of $49,252.29.
Trustee Kiella requested a payment be promptly paid to the retirement account (2717180) as indicated on the July monthly budget report.
In looking over the bills report, Trustee Antkoviak inquired about some payments. After discussion, he requested a policy allowing staff and board members reimbursements within a set amount. Trustee Antkoviak thought this would improve our processes.
Motion: Trustee Antkoviak moved to pay the bills for July of $49,252.29, Trustee McLeod support, passed.
Communication – none.
1. President’s requests regarding findings from the government audit
President Kiella remanded the following items to committees. They are:
• The Budget and Finance Committee draft a bank reconciliation review process, documented in writing, working with the Director and Assistant Director. He stated this will answer the audit requirement for such a process.
• The Budget and Finance Committee to create a protection plan for the $600,000 of uninsured and uncollateralized funds in the library’s bank balance in the event of a bank failure. Trustee Antkoviak suggested having Steve Tibbett come to advise.
• The Personnel Committee to develop a policy correction due to an audit observation that Director Deery’s contract and the library’s personnel policy are not consistent with regard to contributions to the retirement plan.
• The Budget and Finance Committee to develop a reimbursement policy as discussed previously during this meeting.
President Kiella requested to have all these reports presented at the September board meeting.
1. L-4029 to be signed Assistant Director Erlandson stated that our L-4029 for the year 2017-2018 was ready to be signed by the President and Secretary and then sent out to all appropriate townships, City of Allegan and appropriate Allegan County officials. The form was duly signed by President Kiella and Secretary McDaniel.
2. Policy on Awards President Kiella remanded to the Facilities Committee to review the library policy and develop guidelines to award a volunteer or other individual who has contributed to the library. He asked that a report be ready for the September board meeting.
Board Members Comments
Trustee Huff is looking forward to the demolition. Being a member of fire department board, Trustee Behm complimented the library staff for working with the fire department during summer reading.
By acclaim the meeting was adjourned at 8:19 PM. Next board meeting is September 19, 2017.