Allegan District Library
Board of Trustees
April 19, 2016
Call to Order President Kiella called this regular monthly board meeting to order at 7:02 PM.
Trustees Present: Mike Kiella
Also present: Director Lindsey Dorfman
Assistant Director Sharon Crotser-Toy
Administrative Assistant Evelyn Lyzenga
Not present: Trustee Jason Watts
Marjori Cantwell who did indicate she would be a late arrival
All present recited the pledge of allegiance.
Corrections/additions to the agenda
President Kiella requested four changes under Action on Committee Reports:
• Item #1 Personnel Committee – Recommendation to accept Director Lindsey Dorfman’s resignation.
• Item #2 Personnel Committee – Recommendation to reassign Assistant Director Sharon Crotser-Toy.
• Item #3 – Personnel Committee, Director Search.
• Item #4 – Personnel Committee – Recommendation to accept revised Role Profile and Compensation Matrix.
The agenda was amended as requested.
Verification of Quorum: Present
Motion: Trustee Browne moved to accept the consent agenda as written, Trustee McLeod support, passed.
Polly Koenigsknect is present.
Action on Committee reports
1. Personnel Committee Recommendation to accept revised Role Profile and Compensation Matrix
Motion: Trustee Browne moved to accept the revised Role Profile and Compensation Matrix as presented, Trustee McLeod support.
Trustee Browne indicated this document was revised extensively this past year due to the addition of new staff positions and revision of job descriptions. She pointed out a clerical error on the Director’s position. So corrected.
2. Personnel Committee Recommendation to accept Director Lindsey Dorfman’s Resignation effective May 27, 2016, last day May 25th.
Motion: Trustee Browne representing the Personnel Committee recommends and moves to accept Lindsey’s resignation contained in a letter dated April 14, 2016 directed to the Allegan District Library Board of Trustees, Trustee McLeod support.
At 7:13 PM Trustee Cantwell came into the meeting.
Discussion: Board members discussed the need for a non-disclosure agreement. Trustee Browne will get more information to determine if this is something the Board wants to pursue.
Motion: Motion amended to include “a mutually agreed upon non-disclosure clause, if needed”; passed.
3. Personnel Committee Recommendation to Reassign Assistant Director Sharon Crotser-Toy
Motion: Trustee Browne moved to accept the recommendation of the Personnel Committee to appoint Sharon Crotser-Toy as interim director beginning May 26, 2016, Trustee Behm support.
4. Personnel Committee Regarding Director Search
Trustee Browne presented the Personnel Committee recommendation to contact Hartzell-Mika Consulting to begin a new director search immediately.
Discussion: Trustee Browne stated the Board spent up to $15,000 during the director search for Lindsey; some previous work is still valid so costs may be less.
Motion: Trustee Browne moved to begin a director search allowing up to $13,000 for this work, Trustee McLeod support, passed.
Trustee Kiella remanded the director search to the Personnel Committee and requested they begin this work immediately.
Action on Bills to be paid
Trustee Kiella reviewed the bills with prepaid bills of $22,657.87 and bills to be paid of $26,165.45 plus $43,000.00 transfer to create a capital fund account for total bills of $91,823.32.
Motion: Trustee Behm moved to pay the bills for a total of $91,823.32, Trustee Antkoviak support.
Discussion: Director Dorfman mentioned that the monthly payroll amount of $20,780.39 needed to be included which would make total bills of $112,603.71 for the month.
Motion: Motion amended to a total amount $112,603.71, passed.
Communications – none.
1. Library Improvement Plan – Action required
Director Dorfman said the Library Improvement Plan is enclosed in the Board’s packet documents. This acts as our official document for this project. The Library’s attorney has been an integral part of this document’s formation. Polly Koenigsknect stated that the FAQ includes everything stated in the Building Program and Library Improvement Plan as required.
Motion: Trustee Browne moved to accept the Building Program and Library Improvement Plan as presented, Trustee McLeod support, passed.
2. Final Library Improvement Site Plan – Action required
Motion: Trustee Antkoviak moved to accept the site plan, Trustee Cantwell support.
Discussion: Trustee Kiella said this plan was presented to the Allegan City Council with no questions. Director Dorfman pointed out that the walk going down to the water and parking lot is ADA designed; it will be the first handicap accessible walk to the Riverwalk at this end of Hubbard. Small needed corrections were noted; Polly will make the necessary changes before the Saturday, April 23rd Big Reveal open house.
3. Final Library Improvement Plan Floor Plan and Drawings – Action required
Director Dorfman said that Quinn Evans is working on a full color representation drawing which Jim Mumby will bring on Saturday.
Motion: Trustee Antkoviak moved to approve the Floor Plan and Drawings, Trustee McLeod support.
Discussion: Trustee Kiella pointed out the plan and drawings are representations of the floor plan and drew attention to a notation at the bottom that says “final arrangement and allocation of space is to be determined during the building design process.”
4. Final Library Improvement Plan FAQ – Action Required
Polly Koenigsknect lead the discussion. Minor changes were requested which she will attend to before Saturday.
Motion: Trustee Browne moved to accept the FAQ with changes, Trustee McLeod support, passed.
5. Big Reveal Update
Director Dorfman lead the presentation:
• the Big Reveal take place on the main floor of the library.
• Board members will be given name tags.
• The behind the scenes tours will be done by Billie, Sharon and Mike.
Jim Mumby wants a special meeting before the Big Reveal at 1 PM in the Carnegie Room.
The Director will see that is posted in the library and on the library website.
• Director would like to get a picture of the Board as well.
• Trustee Kiella mentioned that Board members should take note of what people like and the questions they ask.
• The director said the survey box will be changed to a Big Reveal box for input from attendees.
• Polly indicated media coverage be kept in Allegan county, such as Positively Allegan, Allegan County News and the Arts Council email blast.
6. Property Update
Director Dorfman directed the Board’s attention to a property update report.
• The library now owns 315 Hubbard Street. Quinn Evans is working on RFP for demolition of the building. Trustee Antkoviak will talk with Steve Kastran for any concerns they may have when the building comes down.
• The library now owns 319 Hubbard Street.
• A joint City Council Library Board meeting will be scheduled before the millage is passed to discuss the transfer of the ownership of the Library Building.
• Owners of 327 Hubbard Street are agreeable to the property exchange. However, they would like the agreement and particulars on the scope of work looked at by an attorney before going further and signing.
New Business – none
Board Member comments – none
By acclaim the meeting was ended at 9:24 PM. The next meeting is a special meeting on Saturday, April 23 at 1:00 PM in the Carnegie Room.