Allegan District Library
Board of Trustees
April 18, 2017
Call to Order: The regular monthly board meeting was called to order by President Kiella at 7:00 PM.
Trustees present: Kevin Huff
Also present were: Director Ryan Deery
Assistant Director Devin Erlandson
Administrative Assistant, Evelyn Lyzenga
Pledge: Pledge of allegiance was recited.
Corrections/additions to the agenda, excusing of absences: Trustee Kiella requested that the Special Meeting minutes of April 10th be taken from the consent agenda and placed under Old Business as item #3. It was agreed to by acclaim.
Verification of Quorum: Quorum is present.
Motion: Trustee Antkoviak moved to accept the consent agenda as amended, Trustee Huff support, passed.
Public Comment: none
Action on Committee Reports
1. B&F Committee – 2017-2018 Preliminary Budget: Trustee Huff gave an overview of the budget as discussed in the minutes of the Budget & Finance Committee meeting of April 5th. He stated that the committee seeks final approval of the budget at the May regular board meeting.
Motion: Trustee Antkoviak moved to accept the second reading of the 2017-2018 budget, Trustee Buese support, passed.
President Kiella requested the Director to advertise the public hearing for the budget at the May board meeting.
2. B&F Committee – First Reading of Preliminary 2017-2018 Capital Building Budget: Director Deery stated that this budget is more of a placeholder since there are not clear cut amounts nor line items for this budget to-date.
Motion: Trustee Huff moved to accept the first reading of this Capital Building Budget as presented, Trustee McLeod support.
Trustee Antkoviak said the Building Committee is currently examining proposals for financial advice to help clarify expected and projected revenues and expenditures for the Capital Building Budget.
Action on Bills to be paid:
Motion: Trustee McDaniel moved to approve paying the bills; Trustee McLeod support.
For the record, President Kiella presented the bills as General Fund March monthly bills of $11,542.24; March bills for Capital Building Fund of $5,026.26 and March payroll of $22,484.42; for a total March bills and payroll of $39,052.92.
1. Building Project Update: Director Deery directed this discussion. He shared that the initial construction estimate from Christman was 1.2 million dollars over budget. Christman assured the Director that this is a common occurrence with initial estimates. Director Deery stated:
• Director Deery met with the Christman Company and Quinn Evans on Monday, April 17th to discuss the construction estimate and to generate a list of potential cost savings ideas. This list will be presented to the Building Committee for review when it is ready.
• Director Deery noted that the first phase of construction is estimated at $178,000. The Board and Building Committee will analyze current funds to determine if this phase can be undertaken prior to USDA funding.
• Brian Crissman, the Project Manager for the Christman Company will speak with the Building Committee at noon on Monday the 24th to discuss the estimating process.
President Kiella, just for the record, verified with Director Deery that all committee meetings are posted. Director answered in the affirmative.
2. Motion to waive Foster, Swift, and Collins conflict of interest: President Kiella reviewed the letter received from Scott Hogan regarding attorneys in his firm (Foster, Swift) doing legal work for Christman in employment matters. Per that letter (presented and shared at the March board meeting) President Kiella stated it required a waiver of conflict of interest to be approved by Christman and the Allegan District Library. Director Deery confirmed that Christman had already signed the waiver.
Motion: Trustee Antkoviak moved to sign the waiver of conflict of interest, signed by Director Deery; Trustee Huff support, passed.
3. Special Meeting Minutes of April 10th for correction: President Kiella asked for the minutes to be corrected to show Trustee Buese in attendance along with Ann Dilcher and Lindsey Pickornick of Quinn Evans via phone. So corrected. President Kiella requested that these minutes be put on the May agenda under consent agenda to be approved at that time.
New Business: none
Board Member comments: Trustee McDaniel thanked Director Deery for all his time and hard work to which President Kiella thanked him for working so well with the Library’s vendors and building construction partners.
Adjournment: By acclaim the board meeting was dismissed at 7:33 PM. Next board meeting is May 16, 2017 at 7:00 PM.