Allegan District Library
Board of Trustees
April 17, 2018
Call to Order: The regular monthly board meeting was called to order by President Kiella at 7:04 PM.
Trustees present: Marty McLeod
Also present were: Ryan Deery, Director
Devin Erlandson, Assistant Director
Evelyn Lyzenga, Administrative Assistant
Pledge: Pledge of allegiance was recited by all present.
Corrections/additions to the agenda, excusing of absences:
Two corrections to the March minutes; so noted. Trustee McDaniel is gone on vacation.
Motion: Trustee Behm moved to excuse Trustee McDaniel, Trustee McLeod support, passed.
Verification of Quorum: Quorum is present.
Motion: Trustee Huff moved to accept the consent agenda items as amended, Trustee McLeod support, passed.
Public Comment: none
Action on Committee Reports:
1. Personnel Committee – Exit Interview Policy; Motion: Trustee McLeod wanted the policy to have more flexibility, give the employee a choice and make it more positive. A correction is to include wording stating there must be two people to conduct the interview.
Motion: Trustee Antkoviak moved to accept the Exit Interview Policy as amended, Trustee Buese support, passed.
2. Personnel Committee – Director Evaluation; Discussion: President Kiella stated for the record that by law there has to be a public summary evaluation review of the Director. Trustee McLeod said this document in the Board’s packet is a form. The committee also wanted an evaluation from staff which was created by the Assistant Director. She stated the committee wanted to have input from those that work with the Director and those are to be in this Friday with the resulting answers to be compiled. President Kiella requested the summary of the Director’s evaluation to be included on the May agenda.
3. Budget and Finance – First Reading of Preliminary 2018-2019 Operating Budget – Motion: Trustee Antkoviak referred the Board to the budget narrative the Director created to accompany the 2018-2019 Operating Budget. He stated the B&F committee approved the narrative and budget. Discussion on the percentage of personnel costs. Trustee Antkoviak said this is the easiest year to understand the budget from the work the Director has done. President Kiella requested a referral to B&F committee to create a line item for overage money from the budget.
Motion: Trustee McLeod moved to accept this first reading of the 2018-2019 operating budget, Trustee Behm support, passed.
4. Budget & Finance – First Reading of Preliminary 2018-2019 Capital Building Budget- Motion: Director Deery said he did a few corrections on this budget and our project should be completed this year. The numbers are based on the GMP which will be modified. The expenses and the loan will balance each other out. Discussion. President Kiella said the library will have to have a public policy because we collected a year’s worth of money and have not made a payment. Our governmental auditor, Jason Mitchell, said we can make an extra payment.
Motion: Trustee Huff moved to accept this first reading of the 2018-2019 Capital Building Budget with a consideration for modifications as discussed, Trustee Buese support, passed.
So the Board can approve the 2018-2019 budgets in May, Director Deery stated he will get the notice on a public budget hearing for the May board meeting into the Allegan News and add such to the May agenda.
Note: Trustee Antkoviak stated we are on budget and President Kiella said we are on schedule.
President Kiella informed the Board that he is qualified for another $500.00 from the Pfizer Foundation.
Director Deery informed the Board that the Allegan County Community Foundation has
awarded us $10,000.00 to be used for the ADA sidewalk. Director applied for this grant
Trustee Behm said there is a donation of $3,500.00 from the former Allegan Friends of the Garden Committee for landscape.
President Kiella requested to add an agenda item – for the June meeting of “approval and verification of designation for contributions for 2017-2018”.
5. Loan Policy Revision-Motion: Trustee Behm said the Facilities Committee is looking at eliminating fines on print materials. He stated the whole idea is to be user friendly. He asked what are the operational procedures for this to be implemented? During discussion Trustee Buese asked about the return rate of materials without fines; Director Deery had this policy at his previous library and found no difference in the return rate. It was decided this policy is not to be started until the Director contacts Polly Koenigsknecht as to the impact on the millage election. President Kiella requested that this policy change be added to the May agenda and hear a report then.
Action on bills to be paid:
Motion: Trustee Behm moved to pay the March 2018 payables: of March bills of $14,499.83 and March payroll of $22,202.07 plus 1st Federal Loan Payment & Interest of $135,623.72 for the total amount of $172,325.62; Trustee McLeod support, passed.
• Trustee Buese has approached another sculptor, Jay Prosch Jensen, for a sculpture for the garden. She wants to get him with Geraldine so Geraldine will give him direction.
• Trustee Antkoviak pointed out that the Greens’ building (old courthouse) is now on its foundation and they should be back in the building in early June.
• Trustee Kiella expressed his appreciation for all the hard work done on the budgets for the upcoming year.
By acclaim the meeting was adjourned at 8:17 PM. Next board meeting is May 15, 2018.