Allegan District Library Carnegie Room Policy
Purpose and Scope:
The purpose of the Allegan District Library Carnegie Room Policy is to list the rules by which those who wish to reserve the Carnegie Room must abide. It is the goal of the Allegan District Library that all those who fill out the Carnegie Room Reservation Form read through this policy and rules before they sign and return the form and use the room. The policy lists what is and is not allowed when using the room, and for which purposes the Carnegie Room may be reserved.
1. The Carnegie Room may be reserved for use by local or area educational, civic, cultural, community, professional, or government groups. Local is defined as organization within the boundaries of the Allegan Library District or an organization with a significant membership residing in the Library District.
2. Official Library use of the Carnegie Room takes precedence over all other uses.
3. No general admission fee may be charged for any meeting or program held in the library, nor may any offering, solicitation, or collection of funds be made.
a. Small fees may be approved by the Director upon request for meetings sponsored by the library or an approved non-profit educational group/institution.
4. In accordance with the current Michigan Public Accommodation Act (Sec. 37.2302), the Carnegie Room may only be used by groups whose membership is open to all without restriction or discrimination based on religion, race, color, national origin, age, sex, or marital status. Use of the Carnegie Room does not imply approval or endorsement of any group by the Library.
5. In fairness to the community, and owing to limited public meeting space, no more than two dates can be reserved per organization at one time.
6. The Library cannot provide personnel for supervision or to assist in handling of exhibits or other materials needed by groups using the room. Nothing is to be affixed to the walls or left in the room permanently.
7. Light refreshments may be served with prior approval of the Director.
8. Smoking is not permitted within the Library.
9. The Carnegie Room will only be available during regular library hours. Prior approval may be obtained from the Director to use the Carnegie Room past closing hours. This will be granted on a case-by-case basis.
10. The front door will be unlocked and attendees permitted upstairs when the responsible party checks in at the Circulation Desk. The responsible party must notify the Circulation Desk when the group leaves the Carnegie Room.
11. The Carnegie Room must be left clean and in its original condition. Full responsibility for any loss or damage associated or connected with the use of the room must be assumed by the organization and the responsible party reserving the room.
12. The Library reserves the right to refuse the use of the Carnegie Room groups that violate the Library’s Code of Conduct.
13. Books and library materials in the Carnegie Room are not for circulation and should not be removed from the room.
14. A representative from the organization must sign the Carnegie Room Reservation Form and indemnification agreement to reserve the room. Reservations can not be confirmed until the application is complete.