ALLEGAN DISTRICT LIBRARY BOARD OF TRUSTEES
SPECIAL MEETING FOR PUBLIC HEARING ON THE 2013-2014 BUDGET
June 10, 2013
Present: Trustees Mike Kiella, Carol Garofalo, Carol Browne, Chris Antkoviak, Jason Watts, Sally Trabulsi, Catherine Hellmann, Director Perrigo and Administrative Assistant Evelyn Lyzenga. Also attending was Faye Black from Monterey Township where she is also a township trustee. President Kiella called the meeting to order at 7:05 pm.
Pledge of allegiance was said recited by all present.
The agenda was amended under item “New Business” as requested by Trustee Watts.
President Kiella officially called for the opening of the public budget hearing part of this meeting. Referring to the 2013-2014 budget Trustee Watts and Kiella highlighted the following budget line items:
• Adding $30,000 the library received to Penalties – Taxes. This addition to the Y-T-D column amends the total income to $509,342.50.
• A new line item entitled State and Federal Grants in amount of $61,000. This is to track grant monies received and spent, for the current SHPO grant for the Carnegie soffit repair.
• Building Fund – $113,000.00 was added to this fund which is the total amount of the bid for the work on the Carnegie building.
• A new line item for Personnel Search –for expenses involved in conducting searches for new employees.
• Electronic Services is a new line item to have better tracking of subscription and annual renewal amounts of electronic services, such as Freegal, NoveList, Overdrive, etc.
• Technology Updates – under this existing line item, President Kiella said this is where the strategic planning items for 2013 of the:
o tablet program for employees and
o updating of the Library’s fleet of computers according to replacement schedule.
• Line item Capital Outlay has been reduced due to the current grant work.
In discussion, it was noted that these changes and adjustments make it easier for the Board to track the Library’s expenses and are in line with recommendations. President Kiella informed Ms. Black that there was no increase of our millage for the upcoming year. Director Perrigo said that we had some savings this year because of the lack of a Youth Services Librarian from November to April.
This was the first reading of the 2013-2014 budget.
Trustee Watts moved, Trustee Trabulsi seconded, that the public budget hearing be closed. Per roll call vote, the motion passed. All trustees present voted yea.
Trustee Watts reflected that the carry over monies from this year’s budget will be used to balance next year’s (2013-2014) budget.
Personnel Committee – Trustee Browne suggested that pages under 18 years of age be paid $6.80 a hour recommended that the amount in the salary line item be increased by $8,300 to cover the wages of pages and that they be included in the Matrix and schedule for employees. It was decided to move this suggestion to the June board meeting.
Amendments for the current budget: Director Perrigo handed out an amended 2012-2013 budget showing the final amendments to balance this year’s budget. Trustee Watts, seconded by Trustee Antkoviak, moved to adjust the income of the 2012-2013 budget to $536,400.00 to reflect the year-to-date income received. Trustee Watts moved to accept the new amended 2012-2013 budget, Trustee Trabulsi seconded. Passed.
Board Resolution accepting the bid from Mihm Enterprises to perform the soffit and eaves repairs to the Carnegie Building: Trustee Watts so moved to accept the resolution distributed by Director Perrigo, Trustee Hellmann seconded. Resolution passed.
Due to a schedule conflict for
June 18th, Trustee Browne moved to change the Board meeting to Monday, June 17th, 2013 at 7pm, Trustee Antkoviak seconded. Roll call vote: Trustees Kiella yea, Browne yea, Garofalo yea, Watts abstained, Antkoviak yea, Hellmann nay, Trabulsi yea. Motion passed.
Trustee Watts moved to end the meeting, Trustee Garofalo seconded. The meeting adjourned at 7:58 pm.
Administrative Assistant to the Director
Allegan District Library