Board of Trustees
September 18, 2012
The regular monthly board meeting was called to order by President Kiella at 7:03 p.m. Those present were: Trustees Mike Kiella, Catherine Hellmann, Sally Trabulsi, Chris Antkoviak, Carol Garofalo, Carol Browne, Jason Watts, Director Ann Perrigo.
Pledge of Allegiance.
The minutes of the August 20th meeting were approved as corrected. Trustee Antkoviak was in attendance at that meeting. Trustee Watts noted that we should specify that the new meeting time is Tuesday, until the 2013 annual meeting.
August statistical and financial reports were reviewed. Trustee Browne suggested that we may want to re-think the Tax Tribunals in the budget as we have had a tribunal in the last two months. Director Perrigo noted that we will be reimbursed by the SW Michigan Library Cooperative for the ALA conference.
Director Perrigo distributed copies of Jude Hardin’s landscape plan for the library. Her plans, which are a donation, include moving of hostas. It was pointed out that we’ll need volunteers, or an inexpensive work force, to implement her plans.
No Public comment.
Director’s Report – Trustee Watts noted that any design for our outdoor sign would be subject to approval by the Historic Commission.
Friends Committee – Report noted in packet. Trustee Watts indicated that he is working to make space available for book storage in his father’s building.
Budget and Finance Committee – Trustee Watts announced a new provider for our retirement account (Massachusetts Mutual).
Personnel Committee – Recommendations for raises will be handled soon.
Facilities Committee – Met just before board meeting, so no written report.
• Downstairs inventory by committee is complete, with staff areas and upstairs still to be done.
• A bike rack will be purchased to replace the old one.
• Signage and landscape design in process.
• Robb McKay (architect) and Denise Sachau (grant administrator) visited the library in regard to grant and prioritization of work. Rob Hillard, Ann Perrigo and Mike Kiella were also included. Two surprises came from this visit:
*Robb suggested a number of trees be removed (maple and some scrub). We
will get bids and have this done this Fall.
*Also, on the front of the building, the first row of tiles is showing a uniform shift and
causing a dynamic structural problem. On the east side of the building, at least
one tile is coming off.
A report for our RFP and grant document will be forthcoming from Robb.
Marketing & Communications Committee – Trustees Garofalo and Trabulsi reported on plans for Friday night’s “over 50s” event.
Bills to be paid – Moved by Watts, supported by Hellmann, to pay bills and payroll in the amount of $40,227.05.
Communications – Trustee Garofalo reported thank-you’s sent to the Gun Lake Tribe for their generous gift of $1,000 to the library (from both the library and the Board of Trustees).
• Trustee Trabulsi moved, supported by Browne, that the award established in the honor of Jo Bortz shall henceforth be referred to as the “Jo Bortz Award.” Motion carried.
• Board Retreat – Trustee Antkoviak will check his calendar and report his available dates.
Selection of Auditor – Director Perrigo submitted to quotes for auditing:
• Jason Mitchell, past auditor for his former company, submitted a quote for Vredeveld & Haefner in the amount of $3,250.
• Joe Verlin, of Gabridge & Co. of Grand Rapids, quoted: not to exceed $2,960; next year $3,050 (optional); following year $3,140.
Director Perrigo stated that the absolute deadline for an audit would be February 1st when the state aid report is due. She’ll check out references with the Otsego library, and suggested the board give the decision over to the Finance Committee, which promptly authorized Director Perrigo to make the decision.
Board Comments – Trustee Antkoviak voiced a thanks for a meeting that moved along quickly, and a Happy Fall to everyone. Trustee Watts noted that with smoking bans in place at the courthouse he’s noticed loiterers smoking on the library steps and bench. Facilities Committee will speak with Rob Hillard regarding City bans on smoking.
Meeting adjourned at 8:10 p.m. Next board meeting is Tuesday, October 16th.
Carol B. Garofalo, Secretary