Allegan District Library Board of Trustees
September 19, 2011
Monthly Board Meeting was called to order at 7 pm by President Kiella.
Present: Trustees Mike Kiella, Carol Garofalo, Catherine Hellmann, Chris Antkoviak, Jason Watts, Carol Browne, Director Perrigo and Administrative Assistant Evelyn Lyzenga.
Absent: Susan Jerkatis.
Pledge of Allegiance.
Agenda revised adding Item C under New Business “Unattended Juveniles” and under Unfinished Business, Item B “M89 Corridor Meeting”.
Minutes from the special board meeting on August 22nd and the minutes from the August board meeting were read and published.
No public comment.
Reviewing the financial reports these items were noted:
• Director learned that the accountant works on a cash basis which means a bill goes to budget when paid. When the library was with the city, a bill went to the budget when it was ordered. The library has to order everything early to get the bill paid before the end of the budget year and not have carryover.
• President Kiella requested that the Budget Committee (Trustee Browne) meet regarding budget adjustments and have them ready for the October board meeting.
Monthly statistics were reviewed. Trustee Watts requested a quarterly breakdown of the OverDrive usage be reflected on monthly stat report. All reports accepted.
Director’s Report received. The highlights were:
• Balance Sheet – questions on the Equity Items shown. Finance Committee does not know how much leftover from last year’s budget to invest.
• L4029s require signatures.
• Power pole was installed for $500. Engelkings made us a custom pole that matches our library computer furniture.
• Arts Alive! – all board members were invited to the Bash on October 22nd from 5-7 pm.
Friends Committee: Trustee Garofalo reported Friends did not elect officers this past month due to low attendance. Sept book sale monies was $249.00.
Budget Committee – no report.
Personnel Committee – no report.
Facilities Committee: Trustee Kiella and Director Perrigo met with Ross of RossMan who was chosen to do the soffit repair project. At that meeting the important items are:
• Ross chooses not to execute the contract (since his time for the job and its completion starts on the day he signs it) until he has his subs lined up and ready to go
• Discussion regarding any change orders and waiver of lien
• Ross plans to start about October 10th. Director Perrigo will check with Ross.
• Invoice for 1st half of contracted amount to be paid when he starts
Finance Committee: Trustee Watts made a motion to reinvest the T note that matured into another T note (will mature December 2013). Trustee Browne seconded, passed. Trustee Watts requested President Kiella and Trustee Garofalo to stay behind to sign papers.
For the Building Fund it was suggested to invest in a T note (maturing in the fall of 2015). Discussion. There probably will be $10,000 invested every quarter, for the building fund. Trustee Watts made motion, Trustee Garofalo seconded, to invest an initial investment of $25,000 plus $1,000 for the Building Fund in a T note. Motion passed.
Trustee Watts, seconded by Trustee Antkoviak, moved to pay the bills and payroll totaling $44,564.54. Passed.
Strategic planning –Trustee Browne reported 22 will be attending the workshop this Thursday, Sept 22nd.
• Trustees Watts and Antkoviak will not be attending
• All workshop items are ready
Director Perrigo gave invitation to the board for the Trustee Training in Kalamazoo coming up Tuesday, October 25th. Registration deadline is near.
Trustee Kiella reported on the second meeting regarding the land use and development of the M89 corridor. Item important to the library is:
• If an M89 authority is created, it would have tax deferring authority.
• If it is a TIFA, our tax dollars would be affected.
• We can request to opt out of the Authority. That can only be done at the time the TIFA is being formed.
• Next meeting is on September 27 at 7pm at Allegan Township hall. Trustee Kiella will attend.
Trustee Kiella submitted minutes from the 1st two meetings.
Director Perrigo reported that the library auditor stated the library needs a Social Security Confidentiality Policy. Trustee Antkoviak moved to accept the policy presented with corrections. Trustee Hellmann seconded, passed. It was noted that personnel files need to be in a locked drawer.
Director Perrigo was requested to get a formal letter or email from Trustee Jerkatis of her resignation from the board. Once it is received, go ahead as soon as possible to put in public notice for a new appointed trustee. Election will not be until 2013.
Unattended juveniles were a topic of discussion requested by staff member Linda Koch. The situation mentioned falls under the Library’s Code of Conduct. Director Perrigo to handle.
Summer Reading Program reports were received, and the Board complimented Jess and Linda on their thorough reports.
Board Member comments: Board requested the preparation of a trustee description.
Meeting was adjourned at 8:33 pm. Next meeting will be October 17, 2011.