September 20, 2016
Allegan District Library
Call to Order: President Kiella called the regular monthly board meeting to order at 7:03 PM.
Trustees present: Kevin Huff
Also present: Ryan Deery, Director
Sharon Crotser-Toy, Interim Director
Evelyn Lyzenga, Administrative Assistant
Pledge: Trustee Huff lead all in the pledge of allegiance.
Corrections/additions to the agenda, excusing of absences
President Kiella requested that a President’s report be added after the Consent agenda. He stated this will be non-reoccurring.
Motion: Trustee Browne moved to excuse Trustee Watts, Trustee Behm support, passed.
Verification of Quorum
Quorum is present.
Motion: Trustee Huff moved to accept the consent agenda as presented, Trustee Behm support, passed.
President’s Comments President Kiella asked Trustee Huff to read a resolution for Carol Browne for her service on the Allegan District Library Board of Trustees and to the community. Trustee Browne is resigning from the Board effective October 1st , 2016 to move to Ohio to be near family.
Motion: Trustee Behm moved to accept the resolution for Carol Browne by acclaim, Trustee McLeod support.
At 7:21 PM Trustee Antkoviak joined the board meeting.
President Kiella gave an overview on various aspects of our Library Project and its many parts:
• Working with the new Allegan City Manager on agreements regarding the sale of our building from the City of Allegan to the library
• Hiring a project manager for our new building construction. The Board decided to have a workshop to hear from a professional construction consultant on this topic.
• Plat reassignment change needed
• Working with SHPO (State Historical Preservation Office)
• 19 points that are part of the USDA application and are directives required of the library
He asked the new Director, Ryan Deery, to follow through establishing relationships with the City Council and City Manager.
Budget Hearing to Amend 2016/2117 Budget
The budget hearing was opened at 7:45 PM. Trustee Antkoviak explained the changes to the 2016/2017 budget required by the passage of a millage of .95 mill on August 2, 2016.
Motion: Trustee Antkoviak moved to accept the resolution to amend the 2016/2117 budget according to the provisions of the Michigan Uniform Budgeting and Accounting Act 1968 PA 2 in order to account for the additional revenue collected in 2016, Trustee McLeod support.
Interim Director Crotser-Toy requested the reading of the resolution as required by law. Trustee Antkoviak read the entire resolution out loud. The resolution asked for a roll call vote. Roll Call: Trustee McLeod yes; Trustee Kiella yes; Trustee Behm yes; Trustee Antkoviak yes, Trustee Huff yes and Trustee Browne yes. Passed.
Budget hearing closed at 7:49 PM.
1. Presentation of the 2015/2016 Audit Report Jason Mitchell of Vredeveld Haefner CPA’s reported on the independent audit he conducted on the library’s financials in bound audits statements and accompanying letter. He referred to the new building fund (which was added to our general fund this year) and explained its impact on the library’s financial statements. The opinion of the auditor is “the financial statements referred to present fairly, in all material respects” which he stated is called a clear opinion. Jason said the good news was that the material weakness letter was not issued this year as there are such good internal controls at the library.
Motion: Trustee McLeod moved to accept the audit for 2015/2016 as presented, Trustee Browne support, passed.
Action on Committee Reports
2. Strategic Plan compiled comments from staff Interim Director Crotser-Toy reviewed the staff comments on the strategic plan. She also handled any questions or clarification of those comments.
• Director Deery will follow up on various staff points to address staff concerns.
• Re: digitizing of newspapers, Director Deery stated this is high priority item because it was promised item during the millage. Trustee Kiella asked Ms. Lyzenga to add this topic to the October Board Agenda at which time the Director will give a presentation.
• The Board asked the Director to convene their thanks to the staff for their comments.
• Director said he would take charge of the strategic plan until a committee chair is assigned.
3. Discussion: Meeting with Municipal Bond Counsel John Kamins, Municipal Advisor Bobby Bendzinski Trustee Antkoviak expressed his desire for a meeting to educate the Board as a group. Trustee Antkoviak will draft a letter and have our Municipal Bond Counsel and Municipal Advisor come to the October board meeting – their coming could be done by phone. He suggested thinking of questions ahead of time.
Action on Bills to be paid
Motion: Trustee Browne moved to pay the August bills of $29,469.83, August payroll $17,913.64 for a total of $47,383.47, Trustee Antkoviak support, passed.
Communications – none
1. L4029 Interim Director Crotser-Toy said it had already been handled.
1. Action required: Motion to receive first draft bylaws Trustee Kiella stated the revisions to the bylaws focused on the recent election law impact on various articles of the bylaws. He said this is the first reading of these revisions.
Motion: Trustee Antkoviak moved to receive the 1st reading of the bylaw revisions as written, Trustee Huff support, passed.
President Kiella requested the Director:
• to send this 1st revision draft to our attorney to do a compliance assessment.
• to determine the language for the second reading notice for these revisions – must be posted in the local newspaper, on the library website and bulletin board.
• that the 2nd reading notice be sent to all board members at least 10 days before the October board meeting as required by the bylaws.
2.&3. Motion to accept the resignations of Trustee Carol Browne and Interim Director
Motion: Trustee Antkoviak moved to accept both resignations of Trustee Browne and
Interim Director Crotser-Toy, Trustee Huff support with regret, passed.
Trustee Browne resignation is effective as of October 1, 2016 and Interim Director
Crotser-Toy resignation is effective September 20th.
Board Member Comments
Board members shared their thoughts and memories of working with Trustee Browne. Trustee Browne said she respected and admired this Board. She also shared her admiration and thanks to Interim Director Crotser-Toy to which the Board agreed. Trustee Kiella spoke to the logistics of filling Trustee Browne’s seat along with the upcoming November election. Trustee Browne mentioned the Board should check with Betty McDaniels that she is registered as a write-in, deadline is October 28 at 4PM. The Board agreed to appoint Trustee Antkoviak to Trustee Browne’s seat effective as of October 1st.
Adjournment By acclaim the meeting adjourned at 9:08PM.
Next meeting is October 18, 2016.
Evelyn Lyzenga, Administrative Assistant