Allegan District Library Board of Trustees
October 17, 2011
Monthly Board Meeting was called to order at 7 pm by President Kiella.
Present: Trustees Mike Kiella, Carol Garofalo, Catherine Hellmann, Jason Watts, Carol Browne, Director Perrigo and Administrative Assistant Evelyn Lyzenga.
Absent: Susan Jerkatis and Chris Antkoviak.
Pledge of Allegiance.
Agenda item C under XI Unfinished Business should read item B. Excused absence: Trustees Jerkatis and Antkoviak.
Trustee Watts stated that the position of Trustee Jerkatis mentioned in the September 19th minutes should say “appointed” since more than half of her term is over. With this correction the minutes were received and published.
No public comment.
Statistical and financial reports and balance sheet were reviewed. Director Perrigo is following up with Angle & Steffes:
• regarding questions she and trustees had on specific line items
• President Kiella requested that a line item be created to allow the board to track surplus monies for investment.
• The Board would like to have “performance to budget” reflected in the financial reports.
• Board and Director will follow the State discussion on mandatory 20% payments for all employees on their health insurance.
Director Perrigo reviewed her written report noting the Arts Alive Bash this Saturday night and the Michigan Library Association next week. Director Perrigo, Jess Pugh, and Linda Koch will be attending. Jess is chairman of the MLA’s Thumbs Up.
Friends – Trustee Garofalo reported:
• the Friends have elected officers and this past Saturday the book sale netted $402.20.
• Friends Scholarship was presented to Shelby Pattok of $1,000. The Board requested that there be equity to all students in the library area for this scholarship. This is a news worthy item the Board requested Friends to get an article to the Allegan County News.
• Teachers have been invited to pick as many as they want of children’s books on October 19.
Budget Committee – Trustee Browne reported on the request to deal with removing last year’s expenditures from the current year’s budget. Director Perrigo has talked with Misty and Steve about how to resolve this. Director Perrigo has identified the line items impacted. President Kiella concurs that we need to resolve this and for the record notes that this comes about because of
• adjustments as a result of audit and
• end of financial year.
He requested that this be on the November agenda.
Personnel Committee – Trustee Kiella requested that the Director bring forth recommendations for end of year bonuses at the November board meeting.
Facilities Committee – committee has not met. Director Perrigo reported on the soffit project on the new part of the library. When Ross came last Wednesday (October 12), as soon as they took down the soffit they could see not only was the fascia deteriorating but the roof supports and the sub roofing are deteriorated as well. Ross spoke with Fred Allen, the roofer the library uses for repairs and who knows the library’s roof well. Fred says he would have to take the roof back 8 feet from the edge of the roof at least to find the “good” part.
• Some of the roof is sagging as well which represents structural integrity.
• RossMan cannot finish his contract since he has nothing to nail the boards to.
• Director Perrigo had a change work order of $900.00 for the temporary work done.
• After checking with the library’s insurance agent, Director Perrigo reported that the library does not have an insurance claim
After much discussion, it was noted that:
• This situation needs to be taken care of now – it cannot wait through winter.
• Trustee Browne noted that for the Competitive Bidding Policy to be set aside by the Board, it would have to be determined that a situation is such an emergency that it is an exception. She also noted that if there is only one person who has the expertise in our area it does not go against our policy. She mentioned that the board should follow every policy they can so that this process is above board, transparent and with equity using the expertise available in handling this problem.
• Another item noted. When RossMan inspected the soffits on the 1914 building, he discovered that it is so badly damaged he is worried about full restoration. Director Perrigo is searching for original blueprints.
• Trustee Watts requested that after the inspection an emergency board meeting be called.
• Trustee Kiella requested that the Director contact the Michigan Township Services building inspector to be a part of the inspection process.
Due to the urgency of this unique situation, Trustee Watts moved that an initial $10,000. be allocated from the current budget to fully assess the damage to our roof using the services of Fred Allen and the Michigan Township Services inspector, and have a work order for initial repairs up to $10,000. as well as a contractual agreement. Trustee Garofalo seconded. Motion passed. The budget committee will make recommendations as to the implication of this allocation.
Finance Committee – Trustee Watts reported that the $25,000 Building Fund monies went into a T-bill for 4 years and the CD that matured was reinvested into a T-bill. According to Michigan statute, the library has limited options for investments. Director Perrigo reported that the library auditor, Jason Mitchell will come to the December board meeting to report on our audit. President Kiella requested that at the November meeting there be a report from the Budget Committee or the Director on the status of our pension liabilities – what’s due and when is it due. We pay on calendar year.
Trustee Watts moved to have the September bills and payroll paid in the amount of $43,930.10. Trustee Browne seconded, passed.
Strategic Planning – Trustee Browne passed out an outline of possible next steps. President Kiella requested that the board either accept and move it forward or reject the work of the strategic planning. Trustee Browne mentioned the two necessary items for the board to do:
• Approve the Vision, Mission, Guiding Principles and Major Goals
• Adjust action items and prioritize
Need to look at the survey results as we had limited community involvement at the workshop. The workshop was mostly staff and board persons. The survey came from the community and had many good suggestions. The packet documents entitled “satisfaction comments” and “future development comments” are from the survey. “Are there any of these comments that need to be added to the major goals?”
Once we determine what action items we want on our priority list, we have to decide:
• What things can we do easily
• What things may be middle steps in a year or two
• Future things that are for 5 to 10 years from now
Trustee Watts moved to accept the Vision, Mission and Guiding Principles, seconded by Trustee Hellmann. Passed.
Trustee Watts moved to establish a standing committee called “strategic planning committee” made up of 2/3 board members, 2/3 staff members and maybe a member of the community. Trustee Hellmann seconded, motion passed. This committee will report to the Board monthly. Once the committee has prioritized the list, it will write an action plan. Then Trustee Browne can put together a strategic plan with a timeline. Finally the strategic plan has to be approved by the Board and then publicized.
Applicants for Trustee position – Director Perrigo reported there were none. Trustee Watts moved to accept Trustee Jerkatis’ resignation with regret, seconded by Trustee Garofalo, passed. The Board will seek applicants. Candidates must submit a letter to the Director and these letters must be in by November 10th. The Board will review them and hopefully appoint a new trustee at the November board meeting. Trustee Kiella will forward editorial changes to Ann on the Trustee description.
No new business
Board Member comments – Trustee Hellmann received clarification on computer usage of new school software “Power School” here at the library.
Trustee Hellmann is again in the murder mystery for the Children’s Museum on November 4 & 5 at 7pm. It is called “Mild, Mild West”.
Put on November agenda an item for an answer from our attorney on the DDA – if there is any other way to get out of the DDA – visit it one more time.
Trustee Watts moved to adjourn. Meeting adjourned at 9:21 pm. Next meeting is November 21, 2011.