Allegan District Library
October 18, 2016
Call to Order: President Kiella called the regular monthly board meeting to order at 7:00 PM.
Trustees present: Kevin Huff
Also present: Ryan Deery, Director
Evelyn Lyzenga, Administrative Assistant
Pledge: Trustee Kiella lead all in the pledge of allegiance.
Corrections/additions to the agenda, excusing of absences
President Kiella requested that a President’s report be added after the Consent agenda.
Verification of Quorum
Quorum is present.
Motion: Trustee Behm moved to accept the consent agenda as presented, Trustee Watts support, passed.
President’s Comments President Kiella gave an overview on various aspects of the Library Project and its many parts:
• A Builders Risk Policy is being looked into by Phil Sieger for insurance coverage for the library’s new building construction and the new basement for the former courthouse.
• We will be closing business with the City of Allegan hopefully before the current city manager, Mark Howe leaves on November 4.
• RFP has been completed for soliciting a construction manager for our project. Proposals are due December 1, 2016 at 5PM; November 4 at 1PM is a site visitation for any interested managers to be done by Quinn Evans. Board to interview managers on December 12. President Kiella requested the RFP be placed on our website.
• Conveyance for the library building from the City of Allegan to Allegan District Library is a process which is to be completed at a upcoming City Council meeting. President Kiella shared many ins and outs of the conveyance. It was suggested to have a picture of the signing of the conveyance.
• Received fee proposal from Quinn Evans for this construction phase of our project; library will ask for a contract to examine all the elements covered and hope to negotiate a lesser amount. Director Deery would like to part of this process.
Public Comment – a citizen who identified himself as “Max” was there to hear of the progress on the library improvement project; after hearing the President’s comments, he could see we have a good handle on the project.
Action on Committee Reports
1. Personnel Committee – Discussion to approve retirement Pay-out for Sharon Crotser-Toy Trustee McLeod gave a report on the personnel committee’s discussion of this pay-out. She agreed with Trustee Kiella there is no need for a motion since these monies are due to Ms. Crotser-Toy.
2. Personnel Committee – Motion to approve Assistant Director Job Description Update
Motion: Trustee Watts moved to accept the Assistant Director Job Description as submitted, Trustee Behm support.
Trustee McLeod gave an overview of the job description that Director Deery had updated. President Kiella thanked the director for such a fine job.
Action on Bills to be paid
Motion: Trustee Watts moved to pay the September bills of $15,700.09, September payroll $17,015.72 for a total of $32,715.81, Trustee Huff support, passed.
Communications – none
1. Action required: Motion to accept draft bylaws
Motion: Trustee Watts moved to accept the draft bylaws, Trustee Antkoviak support.
President Kiella stated that at the last board meeting, he requested Director Deery to pass the bylaws by the library’s legal counsel for compliance. The document in the board packet is from our attorney with many edits and suggested deletions. He shared that in her legal opinion:
• these bylaws have no legal standing
• they are the board’s working process document
• there is no need to put a notice in the paper
Discussion over the need to thoroughly look over our attorney’s edited copy of the bylaws and not make a decision until then. President Kiella said the board needed a new motion which is a preferred motion and comes ahead of the other motion.
Motion: Trustee Behm moved to table the bylaws and moved for a decision on the bylaws out a month until the November board meeting, Trustee Antkoviak support. Passed with 5 trustees yeas and Trustee Watts nay.
President Kiella asked Administrative Assistant Lyzenga to have this placed on the November agenda under Old Business, item 1 “Taking from the table a motion to accept the bylaws”.
1. Discussion: Digitization Project Director Deery directed the Board’s attention to the ADL Digitization document (pages 40 to 43) in the Board’s packet. He opened the discussion up for questions. He shared the budget for this process is a key component and it would have to be broken up. Trustee Watts wanted to know if there was any potential contributions from the current publishers. Director will look into that. Trustee Kiella wanted to know if the current publisher, Mr. Wilcox, will he free up the copyrights to this. Director stated that Mr. Wilcox said he will gladly give them to us. The main question is who owns the copyrights. Without objection President Kiella remanded this project over to Facility Committee for a recommendation and then to Budget and Finance for a mechanism for budgeting for this project. This project is part of the Library Improvement Plan.
2. Discussion to renew employee health coverage
Director Deery lead discussion on this subject. The process is this renewal goes to the Personnel Committee who reviews and makes a recommendation. Trustee Antkoviak asked if this has to be voted on in November. Director Deery stated in the affirmative, renewal is effective December 1st. President Kiella requested Administrative Assistant Lyzenga to include this item on the November agenda under Old Business with a motion to pay unless already renewed.
3. Motion to exempt library from MI Public Act 152 with 2/3 majority Board votes
Motion: Trustee Watts moved to exempt the library MI Public Act 152, Trustee Antkoviak support.
Trustee Watts explained this law and the reasons for the Board to pass a motion.
Motion: Roll Call Vote: Trustee McLeod – yes, Trustee Kiella – yes, Trustee Behm – yes, Trustee Antkoviak – yes, Trustee Watts – yes, Trustee Huff – yes. Motion passed.
Board Member Comments
Trustee Watts shared there are 2 write-ins for the upcoming library election – Betty McDaniel and Chris Antkoviak. Write-in candidates must register with the county clerk by October 28 at 4PM. Due to a complaint, Director Deery will talk to the Democratic office next door to contain their signs to the Green property area. Trustee Huff and Trustee Behm thanked President Kiella and Director Deery for the fine job and information they gave. Discussion on the open seats on the board along with Carol Browne’s open seat and what to do in regard to them and the upcoming election. Trustee Antkoviak withdrew his write-in candidacy with the county clerk via Trustee Watts.
Motion: Trustee McLeod moved to have Trustee Antkoviak vacate his current seat and fill the open seat of Carol Brown’s, Trustee Watts support. Roll Call vote: Trustee McLeod-yes, Trustee Kiella-yes, Trustee Behm-yes, Trustee Antkoviak-yes, Trustee Watts-yes, Trustee Huff-yes; motion passed.
Trustee Kiella thanked Director Deery for his director’s report in its clarity. Trustee McLeod expressed her excitement over the upcoming open house on October 22nd.
Adjournment By acclaim the meeting adjourned at 8:33PM.
Next meeting is November 15, 2016.
Evelyn Lyzenga, Administrative Assistant