Minutes of Board of Trustees Allegan District Library May 20, 2014
Call to order: The monthly meeting of the Board was called to order by President Kiella at 7:01 pm. Present were Trustees: Jason Watts, Carol Garofalo, Carol Browne, Mike Kiella, Rob Hillard-City of Allegan City Manager, Director Lindsey Dorfman and Administrative Assistant Evelyn Lyzenga.
Pledge: The pledge of allegiance was recited by all present.
Corrections/additions to the agenda, excusing of absences: Absent were Trustees: Sally Trabulsi, Catherine Hellmann and Chris Antkoviak. Trustee Watts moved, seconded by Trustee Garofalo, to excuse all three trustees, passed.
Verification of Quorum A quorum is present
Consent Agenda: Trustee Watts moved to accept the consent agenda as given; support by Trustee Browne. Discussion of the motion was invited. Passed.
Public Comment: None.
Action on Committee Reports:
Rob Hillard- City Manager: President Kiella gave an overview of the board’s discussion regarding the renovation of the library building. A commitment to the library’s building and location was reiterated.
The Board invited Rob Hillard to comment on collaboration with the City on the Griswold Building and our building.
Possibilities for and the logistics of collaboration were discussed.
Budget and Finance – 2014-2015 Proposed Budget: Trustee Watts moved to accept this proposed budget and support this meeting as the first reading of the budget; second by Trustee Browne.
Trustee Kiella lead the discussion of the new budget and results of the two most recent Budget/Finance committee meetings:
• For 3 out of the past 5 years the Library has been relying on the fund balance transfer. The Committee recommends to the Board that this is an unacceptable policy/practice. • This year is a transition year from deficient balance budget to a balanced budget.
Trustee Kiella tasked the Director to continue operational assessments and bring recommendations to the Board during the next fiscal cycle that will ultimately result in expenditures balancing with income. Motion passed.
Action on bills to be paid: Trustee Watts moved to accept the bills to be paid as given in the amount of total April bills of $27,536.81 along with total April payroll of $22,322.74 for a total of April bills and payroll of $49,859.55, second by Trustee Garofalo. During discussion Director Dorfman reviewed 3 of the expenditures with the board. Passed.
Unfinished business:Clarification -committee meeting postings All committee meetings will be posted 18 hours before that meeting.
Bylaws – First reading: Trustee Watts moved to accept the revised Bylaws with changes and agreement that this is the first reading of the Bylaws; second by Trustee Garofalo.
Discussion: Trustee Watts reviewed the revision of the bylaws of the Board. Most changes were made for efficiency. The Bylaws Committee focused on two changes:
1. Revising election of Board Officers – due to the new state election law which places the Library election of trustees to the November election, changes the following:
a. Board of Trustees Term in Section 3 under Article II: Library Board to read: takes office at the first regularlyscheduled meeting in November the year they are elected. The term runs four years to the day before the firstregularly scheduled meeting in November of the fourth completed year.
b. Section 1 Officers of the Board under Article III: Officers to read: among the elected trustees at the first regularly scheduled meeting in November. This section in its completeness eliminates Section 2 Nominations under Article IV: Meetings.
c. and Section 2 Term under Article III: Officers to read: a term of one year from first regularly scheduled meeting in November (each of these sections previously read at the July annual meeting.)
2. The Friends Committee – because the Board does not have direct control of the Friends, the Friends committee was removed from the list of Standing Committees of the Board under Article VI: Committees.
3. Trustee Browne brought to Trustee Watts’ attention a motion from the Board’s October 2011 meeting that a motion he made, seconded and passed made the Strategic Planning Committee a Standing Committee of the Board. After discussion, Trustee Watts rescinded the motion made at the October 2011 Board Meeting due to the poor wording of the motion; Trustee Garofalo seconded, passed. Trustee Browne moved to form a board level standing committee of the Strategic Planning Committee, second by Trustee Watts. Passed. Trustee Watts will add the committee to the revised Bylaws. Trustee Browne will forward a mission statement of the committee to him for inclusion.
4. Trustee Watts noted that a written copy of the Bylaws will be available for public inspection. A written copy will be sent to all Board members at least 10 days prior to the next meeting.
5. “Section 5 Secretary of Article III: Officers – the word “keep” in the first sentence be changed to read: “insure”
6. Trustee Browne questioned the wording of Section 3 Review of Director under Article V: Library Director and Staff. After discussion Section 3 wording will be changed to read:
The Board shall perform an annual performance review of the director. The Personnel Committee shall facilitate this performance review.
Motion to accept passed.
Michigan Public Act 152 – vote to override 20% insurance cost for staff: Trustee Watts moved to override the 20% insurance cost for staff mandated under Michigan Public Act 152 for the upcoming year 2014-2015; second by Trustee Garofalo. Discussion clarifying what Public Act 152 is and says was invited. Passed.
Reciprocal Borrowing Agreement with Van Buren District Library: Trustee Watts moved to accept the agreement, second by Trustee Browne. Discussion was invited. Passed.
Initial discussion regarding possibly forming an Allegan Library Foundation: After much discussion of the steps necessary and the pros and cons of this kind of function, it was decided to have someone come and speak to the Board about forming a foundation. Trustee Watts will contact a colleague who may be willing to speak with the board.
Board Member Comments: Trustee Browne thanked the Board she was able to go to the Rural and Small Library Conference at Mackinac Island. She also informed the Board that she would not be attending the June board meeting as she will be out of town. Trustee Garofalo reminded everyone of the free Ragtime Concert the Library is having Thursday at 7:00 pm in the Griswold Auditorium. It is a Centennial event. Trustee Kiella requested the Director to send the new proposed budget to our accountant after the second reading at the June board meeting. Trustee Watts confirmed he will have all changes to the revised Bylaws to the rest of the Board in a timely manner.
Adjournment: Board meeting was adjourned by acclamation at 10:01 pm. The next Board meeting is June 17, 2014.