Allegan District Library
Board of Trustees
March 21, 2017
Call to Order: The regular monthly board meeting was called to order by President Kiella at 7:01 PM.
Trustees present: Kevin Huff
Chris Antkoviak will come in later
Sue Buese on vacation
Also present were: Director Ryan Deery
Assistant Director Devin Erlandson
Administrative Assistant, Evelyn Lyzenga
Pledge: Pledge of allegiance was recited.
Corrections/additions to the agenda, excusing of absences: No corrections.
Verification of Quorum: Quorum is present.
Motion: Trustee McLeod moved to accept the consent agenda as presented, Trustee McDaniel support, passed.
Public Comment: none
Action on Committee Reports
1. B&F Committee – 2017-2018 Preliminary Budget: Trustee Huff gave an overview of the budget as given in the minutes of the B&F Committee meeting of March 17th. President Kiella stated this is the 1st reading of the proposed new budget for 2017-2018. He personally thanked Trustees Huff and McDaniel and Director Deery and Assistant Director Erlandson for the work done on this budget. President Kiella asked the Director to speak to our auditor about the specifications for a Capital Building Budget.
2. Building Committee – Recommendation on Exterior Design Features: The Board decided to leave this discussion until Trustee Antkoviak arrives.
Action on Bills to be paid:
President Kiella presented the bills as February monthly bills of $127,603.00 for General Fund; February bills for Capital Building Fund of $14,004.31 and February payroll of $22,678.41; for a total February bills and payroll of $164,285.72.
Motion: Trustee McDaniel moved to approve paying the bills of $164,285.72; Trustee Behm support, passed.
1. Building Project Update: Director Deery directed this discussion. He shared that the USDA did give approval last Friday, March 17th for Christman to be the Construction Manager. Director Deery was in Lansing today with Quinn Evans at the Christman office.
• Christman will draft a contract using a standard AIA form and the required USDA amendments.
• Scott Hogan and Quinn Evans will review the draft contract.
• This contract will go to the Building Committee for negotiation.
• The negotiated contract will then have to go to USDA for their approval.
• Director Deery shared that within the week Christman said they would have a timeline and costs;
Christman is very eager to get going.
Director Deery reviewed the other items of the building update including the Historical District Commission meeting in May for submission of design documents and their approval. He stated that those must be submitted 1 week ahead of the scheduled meeting. President Kiella requested Trustees Behm and McDaniel to consult together before the HDC meeting regarding our presentation.
Trustee Antkoviak came into the meeting at 7:36 PM.
1. Negotiation of contract with Christman: already covered under Building Project Update
2. Foster, Swift and Collins communication: Director Deery led discussion on letter received from
Scott Hogan regarding attorneys in his firm (Foster Swift) having done legal work for Christman in
employment matters and he stated that ethics rules required him to disclose this relationship.
• Mr. Hogan did not see any conflict in the performance of his duties but his firm is requesting the Library and Christman to sign waivers of any actual/potential conflict of interest.
• Mr. Hogan also asked for a motion to confirm his firm’s representation of the Library in the negotiations with Christman; the Board President would sign a conflict waiver letter. In a straw poll the Board agreed to pass such a motion at the April board meeting.
• Director Deery will have Mr. Hogan send him the required document to sign.
Action on Committee reports
Building Committee – Recommendation on Exterior Design Features – Action required
Director Deery received 4 revised views of the Hubbard Street side of the Library this morning from
Quinn Evans. After discussion led by Trustee Antkoviak, it was decided request a cost estimate for
each view and have the Building Committee vet these views and present the best two options for a full
Board vote. A special meeting will be scheduled for this purpose.
Board Member comments – Trustee McDaniel asked when groundbreaking will be. Director Deery said Christman will have that date in the timeline; he will let the Board know when and what the process is. President Kiella reminded everyone the USDA requires for the groundbreaking that Fred Upton be invited along with Mary Whiteford and Tanya Schuitmacher, US Senator and others.
Adjournment: By acclaim the board meeting was dismissed at 8:26 PM. Next board meeting is April 18, 2017 at 7 PM.