Board Meeting Minutes
June 21, 2016
Call to order: President Kiella called the June regular board meeting to order at 7:03 PM.
Trustees Present: Jason Watts
Also present: Sharon Crotser-Toy, Interim Director
Evelyn Lyzenga, Administrative Assistant
Moment of Silence
A moment of silence was observed for Duane LaPonsie, a long time supporter of the library, and co-owner of Millgrove Brewery. Mr. LaPonsie passed away suddenly this past Saturday.
The pledge of allegiance was recited by all present.
Corrections/additions to the agenda, excusing of absences
Motion: Trustee Watts moved to excuse Trustee Marjori Cantwell, Trustee Antkoviak support, passed.
Quorum is present.
President Kiella requested the 5th item under old business to be moved up to present, with no objections.
1. Ballot Proposal Strategic Communication Plan update given by Polly Koenigsknecht
Polly gave a review of communication efforts under the contracted Library Improvement Plan and citizens committee work. Discussion was led by President Kiella regarding Polly’s contract with the board for her services that has come to an end. Her pro bono work with the citizens committee will continue through the election. A few hours of contract work with staff and board may be required.
Motion: Trustee Antkoviak moved to approve and extend Polly’s contract by 10 hours through the July 19th board meeting, Trustee Browne support, passed.
Motion: Trustee Watts moved to support and approve the consent agenda, Trustee McLeod support.
Interim Director Crotser-Toy requested that her director report be added as #5 under Old Business. Trustee Browne requested an addition of a candidate selection report be added under Old Business as item #6.
Motion: Trustee Watts moved to amend the motion to approve the consent agenda as amended. Passed.
Public Comment – none
Motion: Trustee Watts moved to open the public budget hearing for 2016-2017 budgets as of 7:36 PM, Trustee Behm support, passed.
Interim Director Crotser-Toy gave an overview of next year’s budget. Discussion of:
• The personal property tax repeal, what the library has lost in revenue is scheduled to be reimbursed at the state level; will know more after the first of the year.
• E-rate and the reimbursement process for this does not follow our fiscal year.
President Kiella asked the interim director to contact the library auditor, Jason Mitchell,
and ask if funds can be carried over to another year. He requested the board be copied
on this correspondence.
• Individual professional development requests will be considered by the Personnel Committee.
• Additional Director Search funds will come from fund balance.
• Capital Building Fund is a separate fund from the library’s general fund that was requested by the library’s regular accountant and governmental auditor; the purpose of this fund is to clearly separate improvement funds from the library’s general fund; once the millage is passed this fund is to be reimbursed from bond proceeds.
Motion: Trustee Watts moved to close the budget hearing at 7:55 PM, Trustee Behm support, passed.
Action on Committee Reports
1. Facility Committee – Recommendation to accept Structure Demolition RFP – Action Required
Trustee Kiella gave background on the Demolition RFP, listed three demolition contractors and the planned steps going forward. He asked for clarification of the Facility’s role in this process.
Motion: Trustee Browne moved to have the Facility Committee oversee the process of this demolition and provide the board with regular updates.
After further discussion, Trustee Browne withdrew her motion.
Motion: Trustee Watts moved to authorize the Facility Committee to send the RFP out for bids for demolition, Trustee Antkoviak support.
Trustee Antkoviak expressed his desire that the RFP should be sent to several demolition companies. He will try to get an expanded list.
2. Personnel Committee – Recommendation to amend the personnel policy to include required employee background check – Action Required
Trustee Browne said our current personnel policy states that background checks are an option when hiring new employees. Trustee Kiella asked if this covers volunteers. Trustee Browne said volunteers are not currently included but Personnel will look into it.
Motion: Trustee Browne moved to change the Personnel Policy under 2. Personnel Records, number 2.02 Contents to add a first sentence: “The personnel file shall always contain a resume and criminal background check results (new).” The rest of
records paragraph will be revised to read: It may also contain letters of reference; evaluations; disciplinary history; commendations and letters relating to performance; emergency telephone numbers; record of training; record of positions held; record of leaves of absence; insurance records; and retirement information. Employees shall receive copies of any additions to their files.; Trustee Behm support.
Trustee Browne said this change includes all employees and will be retro active.
Motion: Passed by all with Trustee Watts abstaining.
Bills to be paid
Motion: Trustee Watts moved to pay the bills in the amount of May bills of $31,885.16 with the May payroll of $22,107.52 for a total of $53,992.68, Trustee McLeod support, passed.
2. Accept the 2015-2016 Proposed Amended Budget
Motion: Trustee Watts moved to accept the 2015-2016 amended budget as amended, Trustee Browne support, passed.
1. Accept 2016-2017 Budgets, including the Capital Building Fund Budget 2015-2016 and 2016-2017.
Trustee Watts said this is the second reading of the 2016-2017.
Motion: Trustee Watts moved to accept the 2016-2017 Budget and the Capital Building Fund Budget for 2015-2016 and for 2016-2017, Trustee McLeod support, passed.
3. Property Updates
Interim Director Crotser-Toy reported on the property updates. She reported:
• Trustee Antkoviak met with Burnett & Kastran who are in full support of the project, asking to be kept informed as the plan progresses.
• The library’s accountant advised that Mr. Sturgis needs to fill out a W9 rather than a 1099. President Kiella said this should be sent by certified mail with return receipt for our permanent file. At the end of year Mr. Sturgis can request a 1099. President Kiella also requested that the W9 be sent in the company name with Mr. & Mrs. Sturgis as registered agents. Interim director was advised to check the deed for accurate signatures.
• The Historic District Commission authorized the creation of an additional district for the Greens building at their last meeting. Greens have the draft agreement – Board wants to know as soon as it is accepted given the timing of the project.
• Trustee Kiella spoke with Scott Hogan and the Walnut St issue is resolved. Rob Hillard will show the memo to the city engineers. Scott is working on the letter for SHPO which then goes to the City of Allegan.
5. Director’s Report
Interim Director Crotser-Toy reported on uncollected debt. Our auditor advises not showing this as a receivable as the amount we collect is so small.
6. Personnel Committee – Director Search
Trustee Browne reported on the candidates and their status. She did mention that one of the candidates withdrew her candidacy as she took another job. Trustee Browne requested direction on how many and which candidates did the board wish to interview. The board will interview all the candidates. During the interviews the board decided to have Mary Ann of Hartzell & Mika to ask the questions and follow the same format as they did two years ago. Interviews will be held on July 16 all day with lunch brought in.
New Business – none
Board Member Comments
Trustee McLeod expressed her thanks to Sharon for stepping up as Interim Director. Trustee Antkoviak plans to send his summer schedule to the Interim Director. President Kiella thanked everyone for all the work done.
By acclaim the meeting is adjourned at 9:17 PM. Next meeting is July 19, 2016.