Allegan District Library Board of Trustees
June 20, 2011
The regular board meeting was called to order at 7:00 pm by President Jerkatis.
Present: Trustees Catherine Hellmann, Carol Garofalo, Carol Browne, Jason Watts, Chris Antkoviak, Susan Jerkatis, Director Ann Perrigo and Administrative Assistant Evelyn Lyzenga.
Absent: Trustee Mike Kiella excused.
Pledge of Allegiance.
Agenda correction: Change C under Unfinished business to Minutes Policy
Approved May minutes as written.
No Public Comment.
Received statistical and May financial & payroll reports.
Director’s Report received. Next month’s board meeting will be the library board’s annual meeting and election of officers.
Friends Committee: Trustee Garofalo gave report.
Budget Committee: Trustee Browne, seconded by Trustee Garofalo, moved to approve the final adjustments to the existing budget for 2010-2011. Roll call vote: Antkoviak yea, Watts yea, Garofalo yea, Hellmann yea, Browne yea, Jerkatis yea.
Trustee Jerkatis presented a Resolution Establishing a Building Fund. Discussion yielded a revision to the resolution – 1st sentence of item 1 – to include the additional word “minimum”. The fund will be a pure investment fund. Trustee Watts suggested 3 year T-bills. President Jerkatis referred this Resolution over to the Finance Committee for completion.
Personnel Committee: Trustee Antkoviak reported that the committee met and completed Ann’s evaluation. A report will be presented at the July board meeting.
Facilities Committee: Director Perrigo will proceed with getting the windows cleaned. Another estimate will be submitted for soffit project. Meeting room policy is set over until next month.
Finance Committee: Trustee Watts reported the Fund Balance Policy has not been finalized yet.
Selection Committee: Will be mothballed.
Bills to be paid: Trustee Watts moved to pay bills as presented in the amount of $50,583.53, Hellmann seconded. Passed.
Communications: Notice of City’s Public Hearing on June 27th for an Industrial Exemption Certificate for the Imaging Group; it would cut into City taxes to the library.
A. Strategic Planning: Trustee Browne reported on this vital planning for the future of the library. The following items were decided:
• that the board needs to pay yearly fee to get the strategic planning survey and have printed master and copies. Trustee Watts moved to pay the yearly subscription fee to Survey Monkey, Hellmann seconded. Passed.
• The board unanimously approved the survey as is. Trustee Browne strongly suggested that the survey be available for 30 days only.
• It was discussed and decided to distribute the survey electronically and with printed copies here at the library. A postcard will be used to notify the broadest number of people in the library district. Director Perrigo and Evelyn Lyzenga will work together to get the postcard out.
• The date of Thursday, September 22nd from 8:30 to 3:30 was set for the Future of the Library Strategic Planning Workshop to be conducted in the Carnegie Room.
• Invitations to this workshop with a RSVP deadline will be sent out ASAP to the proposed list of participants.
• Administrative Assistant Lyzenga will implement these items in view of Trustee Browne’s absence.
B. DDA Letter: Trustee Watts moved to contact the library attorney for any other option. Seconded by Hellmann. Passed.
C. Minutes Policy: Suggested to follow the agenda with short description.
A. New Logo: It was decided to wait until after the Strategic Planning Workshop in September.
B. Code of Conduct Policy: Trustee Browne, seconded by Trustee Watts, moved to approve the policy as written with correction to item #2 to change “seven” to “eight”. Passed with one nay vote by Trustee Watts.
Board Comments: Trustee Garofalo said the dedication of the plaque to Jo Bortz went very well. Trustee Browne will be absent from next board meeting.
President Jerkatis closed the meeting at 8:49 pm. Next meeting is July 18th.