Allegan District Library Board of Trustees
July 18, 2011
Meeting was called to order at 7:00PM by President Jerkatis.
Present: Trustees Catherine Hellmann, Carol Garofalo, Jason Watts, Chris Antkoviak, Susan Jerkatis, Mike Kiella, Director Ann Perrigo and Administrative Assistant Evelyn Lyzenga.
Absent: Trustee Carol Browne excused.
Pledge of Allegiance.
Election of new officers for the upcoming year.
• Trustee Watts nominated Mike Kiella as president, seconded by Trustee Antkoviak. Passed.
• Trustee Watts nominated Carol Browne for Vice President, seconded by Trustee Garofalo. Passed.
• Trustee Kiella nominated Carol Garofalo for Secretary, seconded by Trustee Hellmann. Passed.
• Trustee Watts said he would be willing to serve as Treasurer again. President Jerkatis affirmed that Trustee Watts is the Treasurer for the upcoming year.
Meeting handed over to the new President Trustee Kiella.
Agenda correction: delete “C” under XI Unfinished Business.
Approved June minutes as written with correction that Trustee Kiella was excused.
No Public Comment.
Received statistical reports:
• June and annual statistics
• June financial & payroll reports
• Adult and children stats from the summer programs starting in June
Taking note of the number of volunteer teens who have assisted in the children’s programs, President Kiella requested that the Director thank these volunteers publicly.
Director’s Report received.
• Annual calendar be corrected to include September 22nd Strategic Planning Workshop.
• OverDrive going well.
• Arts Alive! information should be available at all upcoming adult and children’s programs.
• Installation of mConsole and the new copy machine have gone very well.
• Director Perrigo reported of her time at the ALA annual meeting and mentioned one of many ideas that came from that meeting – at least one self check out station, maybe sometime next year.
• Director Perrigo reported on the roof leak. The Board requested for her to see if this is covered by insurance. She has a call in to the roofer.
Friends Committee: Trustee Garofalo reported of $381.76 received at the last book sale.
Budget Committee: No report
Personnel Committee: Trustee Kiella reported the committee met on June 2, 2011 for annual review of Director. Summary report was provided by Director in preparation thereof. Ascendancy plan was discussed. Recommendation of committee is that Director Perrigo continue under present terms. Minutes of that meeting were read and received.
• Windows have been cleaned. Cleaner reported that many of our windows have faulty seals and should be replaced. Committee to consider this matter.
• Soffit project was discussed. 4 bids were reviewed. Board feels that:
o Should enter into contract for work done and confirm that there is adequate bonding
o Wanting to know about safety issues and work due to their concern for the level of grade at the parking lot end of the building
o Should determine that work will be done promptly due to exposure to the elements
o Historical commission notification
o Should determine a monetary threshold for bonding
Board requested committee to inquire on the bids and come back to board with a recommendation. Committee will meet and then call a meeting with the full board for later this month.
Finance Committee: Trustee Watts reported on June 6th committee meeting in which they considered a Fund Balance Policy, a resolution for establishing a capital building fund and financial controls of the overall budget. Minutes from that meeting were read and received. Trustee Watts passed out a Fund Balance Policy and a Resolution Establishing Capital Building Fund. Major items noted:
• Policy for assignment, designation, intervals and authorities to be pursued with the full ADL Board.
• Fund Balance Policy required according to the library auditor, Jason Mitchell.
• Need policy for transfer of end of the year excess funds from General Fund to investment accounts.
• Every account should be defined.
• Fund Balance – need to try to maintain between 20-25% – part of operations.
• Building fund will count as part of the Fund Balance.
After much discussion, it was decided that the resolution should include:
• after the last sentence of item 1 a parenthetical phrase saying “(The intent of this section is bricks & mortar additions.)” and
• correct the spelling of the word under item 2, after “instruments” to “commensurate”.
The resolution and policy will be considered at the August board meeting. Director Perrigo will send both documents to Jason Mitchell, ADL auditor, for his review.
Bills to be paid: Trustee Watts moved to pay bills as presented in the amount of $30,485.67, Trustee Hellmann seconded. Passed.
Communications – none
Strategic Planning Progress report – Director reported that 40 invitations went out for the September 22nd workshop. We have received 5 yes’ and 3 nos. Postcards are to be here by Tuesday this week to send out encouraging residents to take the survey which will be available on our website.
DDA – Director Perrigo reported hearing nothing back from our attorney.
New Business: none
Board Member Comments – congratulations to the new Board President and Vice President.
Adjournment was called at 8:24 pm. Next board meeting is August 15th.