Allegan District Library Board of Trustees
January 21, 2014
The regular monthly board meeting was called to order by President Kiella at 7:00 pm. Present were: Trustees Catherine Hellmann, Sally Trabulsi, Carol Browne, Jason Watts, Michael Kiella, Carol Garofalo, Chris Antkoviak, Director Ann Perrigo and Administrative Assistant Evelyn Lyzenga.
Trustee Watts moved to accept the consent agenda, seconded by Trustee Hellmann, passed.
Public Comment – none
Strategic Planning –Trustee Browne lead the board into discussion on the existing 2013 action plan and a new action plan now needed for 2014. She suggested that herself and the Director get together to draft an updated version for 2014. Other items of importance to be included:
• Trustee Watts suggested a priority be placed on the digitization of the microfilm for both 2014 and 2015 action plans
• Trustee Antkoviak drew attention to the area of the existing jail right across the street that will be vacant this year after the jail moves. He suggested the board let their wishes on the usage of this space be known via letter to the Allegan County Commission.
Trustee Watts moved to pay the December bills and payroll in the total amount of $46,182.33, seconded by Trustee Trabulsi. Passed.
Communications – none
Search Committee: Trustee Browne said that in contact with the board’s consultant, Marianne Hartzell, that there are eleven applicants and that those they have contacted for leads and applicants show good interest in our library. The submission deadline for the position is January 31st. The following came from a discussion of next steps:
• Search Committee – Trustees Browne, Trabulsi and Watts – will need to meet very soon
• An additional special meeting of the whole board to go over recommended applicants would need to be called before the next regularly scheduled board meeting.
Open Meetings Act: The discussion was about wording used for posting meetings. Per a recommendation from Trustee Antkoviak, Trustee Watts moved that a meeting, outside of regularly scheduled meetings, will be called a “special meeting” unless voted on by the board. Seconded by Trustee Antkoviak, passed.
Trustee Watts moved to approve the annual state aid report submitted by the Director, seconded by Trustee Browne. Director Perrigo answered questions about this report. The motion was brought to a vote and passed. President Kiella will sign the certification.
Board Member comments:
• Director leaves for Mid Winter American Library Association meeting on Thursday, January 23rd and will return Wednesday, January 29, and back at the library January 30th.
• Director also mentioned the library should invest in a new movie screen as well as more window shades for the east windows of the Carnegie Room.
• Per President Kiella’s request, the consent agenda will now include the monthly investment report and that report will be included in board meeting packet documents.
• Additional item under “administration” be included for July on the ADL board calendar for “starting work on the ADL annual report”.
By motion from Trustee Watts, seconded by Trustee Hellman, the meeting adjourned at 8:19 pm.
Next meeting will be February 18th, 2014.