To use the Carnegie Room, the group’s representative must read the meeting room policy below and agree to it and then fill out the Room Reservation Form, click here. This form is to be handed in person to the front desk personnel in the library prior to the meeting.
Allegan District Library – Meeting Room Policy
1. The upstairs meeting room may be reserved for use by local or area educational, civic, cultural, community, professional, or governmental groups. Local is defined as an Allegan-based organization or one with a significant Allegan membership.
2. Library use of the meeting room takes precedence over all other uses.
3. Religious groups may use the meeting room for non-sectarian or interdenominational meetings or programs. Political groups may use it for non-partisan or bi-partisan programs of an educational nature. Meetings of this type must be publicized and open to the public. Granting use of the facility does not imply approval by the library of the group, the meeting, or the ideas presented at the meeting.
4. No general admission fee may be charged for any meeting or program held in the library nor may any offering, solicitation, or collection of funds be made.
a. Small incidental charges may be approved by the Director upon request (supplies, lunches, etc.) for meetings sponsored by the library or an approved non-profit educational group or institution for short-term classes, institutes, discussion groups and forums.
5. Profit-making organizations sponsoring educational programs of a non-profit nature will be permitted to use the room provided the meetings are open and are free to the general public.
6. In accordance with the Michigan Public Accommodation Act, these tax-supported facilities may be used only by those groups whose membership is open to all without restriction or discrimination based on race, sex, or religious creed.
7. In fairness to all groups in the community, reservations will not be accepted for a series of meetings which would designate the library as a regular meeting place for any organization.
8. The library cannot provide personnel for supervision or to assist in handling of exhibits or other materials needed by groups using the room. Nothing may be affixed to the walls permanently.
9. Light refreshments may be served if prior approval of the Library Director has been obtained. No smoking or alcohol consumption will be allowed nor may alcoholic beverages be brought onto the premises.
10. The meeting room will be available only during library hours unless appropriate arrangements are made in advance with the Library Director. A charge of $10.00 per hour (or portion thereof) will be required after normal closing hours.
11. The front door will be unlocked and attendees permitted upstairs when the responsible person in charge of the meeting checks in at the Circulation Desk. The person in charge of the meeting must notify a library staff member at the Circulation Desk when the group leaves the meeting room.
12.The room must be left clean and in its original condition. Full responsibility for any loss or damage arising out of or in connection with the use of the room must be assumed by the organization and its representative reserving the room.
13. The library reserves the right to refuse the use of the room to groups because of noise or acts of vandalism or incitement to riot.
14. Books on upstairs shelves (in meeting room and storage area) are not for circulation; these must not be removed unless check-out permission from the Library Director (or librarian on duty) has been obtained.
15. A representative from the sponsoring organization must sign a reservation form and indemnification agreement at least one week prior to the scheduled meeting. It is expected that said representative will read this Policy Statement and be responsible for the observance of its provisions.
Approved 2-01-83; Revised 9-01-87, Revised 8-15-11 Allegan District Library Board