Allegan District Library
Board of Trustees
February 21, 2017
Call to Order: The regular monthly board meeting was called to order by President Kiella at 7:02 PM.
Trustees present: Kevin Huff
Also present were: Director Ryan Deery
Assistant Director Devin Erlandson
Administrative Assistant, Evelyn Lyzenga
Pledge: Pledge of allegiance was recited.
Corrections/additions to the agenda, excusing of absences: Trustee Kiella requested a “President Update” be the first item on the agenda under Action on Committee Reports. It was agreed to by acclaim.
Correction Motion: Trustee Huff moved to excuse Keith Behm from a special meeting held October 4, 2016; Trustee Buese support, passed.
Motion: Trustee Huff moved to excuse Trustees Chris Antkoviak, Marty McLeod and Keith Behm from this meeting; support by Trustee Buese, passed.
Verification of Quorum: Quorum is present.
Motion: Trustee McDaniel moved to accept the consent agenda as presented, Trustee Huff support, passed.
Public Comment: none
Action on Committee Reports
1. President Updates President Kiella passed out a draft diagram detailing a suggested structure, and workflow and predicate rules for the Library Improvement committee. He requested the board examine the document and come prepared with comments and suggestions. Once approved, it will be shared with legal counsel, Quinn Evans Architects and our CM once on board.
• On February 28th a meeting with a risk assessor to understand insurance needs is scheduled.
• The process to hire a CM starts on March 3rd with a public opening of proposals at 5:00 PM.
Then the proposals will be sent out to the rest of the board for review.
• March 7th special board meeting is intended to select 3 finalists.
• March 9th special meeting is to hear CM presentations and select a finalist.
• ADL building committee will negotiate contract on March 10th and on March 15 hire the CM.
Trustee Buese said she will not be here March 15th or the 21st.
2. Digitization Project Update – Recommendation of Facilities and Budget & Finance Committee
Director Deery shared the recommendation from the committees that Sanilac Computer Products be the provider for the digitization of the library’s Allegan newspaper collection.
Motion: Trustee Huff moved to accept the recommendation to have Sanilac Computer Products provide the digitization of the library’s newspaper collection, Trustee Buese support.
All newspapers published prior to 1922 are covered under public domain Director Deery stated.
• Funding for this project will be determined after the CM is hired and costs of the Improvement Project are more clearly known.
3. ILS Recommendation: recommendation
Director Deery stated this recommendation is for our integrated library system (library system to track items owned, patrons and usage) to move from Alexandria and be replaced with Verso, a product from Auto-Graphics Company. This is in line with our library improvement project and the age of our current system. The initial cost of $7,450. can be paid under existing line litem “Technology Updates”.
Motion: Trustee Huff moved to support the ILS recommendation to migrate to Verso; Trustee McDaniel support, passed.
4. Mid-Year Budget Review
Director Deery lead this discussion based on a budget review document everyone had. This discussion was requested at the January board meeting and after review Director Deery stated there was nothing alarming.
5. Approve Page Job Description
Motion: Trustee McDaniel moved to accept the page job description as given; Trustee Buese support, passed.
6. Approve Holiday Policy Update
Motion: Trustee Buese moved to accept the holiday day pay correction; Trustee McDaniel support, passed.
7. Approve 2016 Retirement Pay Out
Motion: Trustee Huff moved to approve the pay out of retirement benefits to those eligible; Trustee McDaniel support.
Director Deery shared this is already a budget item and our CPA prepared the pay out report. President Kiella reiterated that the library is 100% funded on the retirement plan.
Action on bills to be paid
Trustee Kiella presented the January monthly bills as $22,078.33, January payroll was $22,360.28, for a total of $44,438.61.
Motion: Trustee Huff moved to approve paying the bills as stated, Trustee Buese support, passed.
1. Revised By-laws
Trustee Kiella stated all corrections have been made; he asked for a motion to approve.
Motion: Trustee Buese moved to accept and approve the bylaws, Trustee Huff support, passed.
1. Building Progress Update; discussion.
Director Deery reviewed the building update document he prepared. He stated the newest building plans have been presented to SHPO.
2. March 23rd Staff In-service; discussion
Director Deery gave details of the in-service day.
3. Construction Manager Bid Review Process and Scheduling
President Kiella remanded this process to the Facilities Committee regarding what the Board is to do.
Board Member comments – none
Adjournment: By acclaim the board meeting was dismissed at 8:29 PM.
Next board meeting is March 21st, 2017 at 7 PM.