Allegan District Library Board of Trustees
December 17, 2013
The regular board meeting of the Board of Trustees was called to order by President Kiella at 7:04 pm. Present were: Trustees Catherine Hellmann, Sally Trabulsi, Carol Browne, Jason Watts, Michael Kiella, Carol Garofalo, Chris Antkoviak, Director Ann Perrigo and Administrative Assistant Evelyn Lyzenga.
Trustee Watts moved to accept the consent agenda, seconded by Trustee Browne, passed.
Public – none
Trustee Browne submitted the Strategic Action Plan for 2013 to the Board for a quick review over the most recent changes to this plan. An additional change offered by Trustee Watts was to: item 4 under Marketing & Communication (continue work on website and FB”) to have the completed column read: “completed and ongoing”. Trustee Browne reminded everyone that this is a fluid document that needs to be up-to-date as it is the board’s worksheet/guidelines.
Bills to be paid: Trustee Watts moved to pay the November bills, seconded by Trustee Garofalo, in the amount of $18,358.10 and November payroll in the amount of $20,133.22 for a combined amount of $38,491.32. Passed
Communications – none
Search Committee: Advertising for Director Position
Trustee Watts moved to approve the text of the ad as presented, seconded by Trustee Browne. Trustee Browne led the discussion on the ad. Trustee Watts inquired as to the distribution of this ad. Trustee Browne read the electronic distribution list from Hartzell-Mika consultants. Trustee Watts moved to approve the electronic distribution as the consultants stated with the addition of placement in the Allegan County News for one week and placement on the Michigan Works job board. Seconded by Trustee Hellmann, passed. The motion to approve the text of the ad was brought to vote and passed.
Personnel Committee: Trustee Watts moved, seconded by Trustee Garofalo, to accept the job description as offered. Trustee Browne led the discussion on the job description which lead to the following amendments:
- Items under “General Administration and Management” :
- Item L substitute the word “cooperatively” for “effectively”
- Add Item O – “Serves as a resource for all standing committees”
- Add Item P – “Performs other tasks as assigned by the Board of Trustees”
- Item under “Position Requirements”
- Delete item 3 “possession of (or the ability to obtain) a Level I Certification from the Library of Michigan”. This is equivalent to items 1 and 2 under Position Requirement and therefore not necessary.
- The wording (as provided by Hartzell-Mika) of the last section of the job description on “Physical Demands and Work Environment” is approved and substituted in place of previous wording.
The motion to accept the job description with the amendments was brought to a vote and passed.
Board Member comments: All trustees present wished everyone holiday wishes. There was discussion on the Open Meetings Act for actions in the future which led to the following:
- Each trustee should read the complete Act to educate themselves on it
- Members of the Board want to see any applicable provision in the Act before taking action in regard to their meetings and changes that may need to be made
- If further input on this facet of the O.M.A. is required, the Board may consult with its attorney
- Postings of meetings for public notice of such will continue as previously performed as of this date
Trustee Watts mentioned that there is a new earlier filing date for the 2014 November elections coming up for some board positions expiring in 2014. The filing date is by 4:00 pm on July 17, 2014.
Meeting was closed at 8:35 pm. Next meeting will be January 21, 2014.