Allegan District Library Board of Trustees
August 15, 2011
Monthly Board Meeting was called to order at 7 pm by President Kiella.
Present: Trustees Mike Kiella, Carol Garofalo, Catherine Hellmann, Chris Antkoviak, Director Perrigo and Administrative Assistant Evelyn Lyzenga.
Absent: Trustees Carol Browne, Jason Watts, Susan Jerkatis.
Excused: Trustee Watts and Jerkatis.
Pledge of Allegiance.
Minutes from the special board meeting on August 4th and the minutes from the July board meeting were read and published with corrections.
No public comment.
Reviewing the financial reports these items were noted:
• Ann will confirm with Jason, our auditor, that expenditures from June are considered a carryover from last year and will be adjusted at audit
• Request to add “retirement fund payout” to December on the yearly calendar.
Monthly statistics were reviewed. All reports accepted.
Director’s Report received. The highlights were:
• Plugged drains on the flat roof caused the roof leak. No leaks since drains were cleaned out.
• Requested Engelkings to give estimate for power pole for new computers.
• Contacted contractors regarding change in bidding process policy.
• Library wrapped up Summer Reading Program.
Friends Committee: Trustee Garofalo reported on the great program last Wednesday evening (Aug 10th) with Gary Brandt. Friends will be electing officers this month. Book sale is next Saturday, August 20.
Budget Committee – no report.
Personnel Committee – no report.
Facilities Committee: Trustee Garofalo shared the bidding process documents, which include:
• Public notice for bids to repair soffits and replace exterior light fixtures
• Fascia and Soffit Repair Specifications
• Competitive Bidding Policy
After discussion and noted changes to the policy, Trustee Antkoviak moved to have the Competitive Bidding Policy accepted, Trustee Hellmann seconded. Passed.
Director Perrigo then focused board’s attention on the Meeting Room Policy. Trustee Antkoviak moved to pass the Meeting Room Policy with changes, Trustee Hellmann seconded. Passed.
Finance Committee: Director Perrigo reported on the Fund Balance Policy and the resolution establishing a committed fund balance for Capital Building Project. Trustee Antkoviak moved to approve the Fund Balance Policy, Trustee Hellmann seconded. Passed.
Trustee Antkoviak made a motion to approve the resolution establishing a committed fund balance for the Capital Building Project, Trustee Hellmann seconded. Roll call vote: Trustee Antkoviak – yea, Trustee Garofalo – yea, Trustee Hellmann – yea, Trustee Kiella – yea. Resolution accepted at 8:15 pm.
Trustee Garofalo, seconded by Trustee Hellmann, moved to pay the bills and payroll totaling $33,727.37. Passed.
Communications: Secretary Garofalo sent a thank you to Bridge Church who did clean up around the library. Director Perrigo mentioned the September 15 “Marketing the Public Library”, meeting in Lansing and an October 25 FOML Trustee Alliance Workshop in Flint, MI.
Strategic planning – progress report was given by Administrative Assistant Lyzenga in absence of Trustee Browne. She reported:
• Invitations went out July 5th for the workshop in September. Staff will follow up with those who have yet to respond.
• Reported on the results of persons completing the strategic planning survey. Online there have been 152 completed and here in the library, 54 have been completed. Survey deadline is August 20th.
Trustee Kiella reported on a meeting regarding the land use and development of the M89 corridor from Allegan stoplight where M40 and M89 split and then out to 26th Street. Two more meetings to be held August 23 and September 27 at Allegan Township hall.
Special Meeting to open bids will be next Monday, August 22nd, 7 pm.
Board Member comments: Antkoviak noted that in the London riots the stores that were burned was everything except a book store! Penal fine annual report shared.
Meeting was adjourned at 8:28 pm. Next meeting will be September 19, 2011.