ALLEGAN DISTRICT LIBRARY BOARD OF TRUSTEES
August 16, 2010
The meeting was called to order at 7:05 p.m. by President Jerkatis. Present were Trustees: Jerkatis, Kiella, Hellmann, Garofalo, Bortz, Antkoviak, Watts, Administrative Assistant Evelyn Lyzenga and Director Ann Perrigo.
The pledge of allegiance was said.
Changes were made to the agenda to add “reading of City paving contract” news article and “grant writing workshop” under “New Business”.
Minutes of the June board meeting were accepted as written with corrections.
Public Comment – No comment.
The statistical reports (monthly and annual stats) and financial reports (July monthly budget and payroll) were reviewed and received. In answer to the question about the SRP, our Summer Reading Program is advertised through our newsletter, going to Allegan Public School classrooms individually, at our library location and the local newspapers.
Director Perrigo has an appointment with the County Equalization Officer, Blaine McLeod on Wednesday, August 18th to complete the forms for the new millage property tax collection. She will clarify with Blaine when the new millage will be billed, and ask Blaine to project what those future revenues might be and its revenues for the current fiscal year. Her understanding is that the millage will kick in with the December tax bills and that its revenues are for the current fiscal year. If that is so, then the budget committee should write a new budget.
Director Perrigo said there are 10-15 comments a week about handicap accessibility (i.e climbing the hill).
ArtsAlive! ends September 5th, last date to vote.
The library has received a Perrigo Foundation grant of $5,000 to encourage reading in the community. The Director uses this money for programs for Summer Reading, any time the library gets outside entertainers and Book Club books.
The SMLC (Co-op) grant for staff development was used for last year’s ALA. A $2,000 grant for technology was used to renew Downloadable Audio Books which is $2,000. $1,000 is for collection development and the Director is using that grant to update the travel collection.
There are two staffing issues:
• One is that 2 pages are leaving. Director Perrigo will be interviewing for new pages this week.
• The second issue is the pregnancy of a circulation clerk and another circulation clerk going on vacation. Both are coming up very soon, Director Perrigo will be seeking a part time circulation clerk to cover these absences. Board approval was sought. Discussion followed. The hours and money for this person will be the same as the hours and money of the two clerks who will be absent.
Motion was made to hire a part time circulation clerk on an as needed basis and passed. Trustee Watts abstained.
Director Perrigo passed out statistics from Linda Koch’s summer adult reading program. 50 participants and 305 books were read.
Friends – no report. Trustee Garofalo reported on the final outcome of the author event. Friends paid the Arts Council $240.00.
Budget Committee – no report.
Personnel Committee – no report.
Facilities Committee – Regarding DDA, our first step is for Director Perrigo to contact the landlord of our building, the City of Allegan, to seek approval of a grant request from the DDA. The library does need that response in writing.
Finance Committee: Retirement distribution, Trustee Kiella reported that the library owes it and does have the money. Our accountant, Angle & Steffes, acknowledged that and it can be paid tomorrow. Our accountant will be tracking the retirement from now on and will report that in January each year.
For a new auditor, Director Perrigo has already received one proposal and expects 3 more.
The bills to be paid were reviewed and motion made to approve the grand total for the bills and payroll for July of $28,418.98. Passed.
Communications – no report.
Unfinished Business – no report.
• Allegan County Community Foundation Grant Writing Workshop is October 8th from 9-12. Cost is $20.00 for 1st person and $15.00 for each additional. Trustee Kiella reported the great networking opportunities of this workshop when he previously attended it. Trustee Bortz and Director Perrigo will attend.
• Trustee Kiella read a newspaper item about the City of Allegan’s awarding a paving contract and those streets and areas included. The library and Griswold’s parking lot and exit driveway were not included. The question the board ask is “what do we have to do to get the gravel and potholes paved?”
• Director Perrigo shared that the MI-SBTDC Business Resource Center has given the library a grant for small business development which includes a collection of books and other materials.
Board Member comments – President Jerkatis and the board thanked Ms. Perrigo and her husband, Ed Spicer, for the treats provided for this board meeting in celebration of the passing of the millage proposal.
The Board inquired about the Employment Workshop that is currently meeting. Administrative Assistant Lyzenga, who teaches the class, reported the class has been very well received. Participants have said they are really encouraged by the methods and thinking they have learned in looking for their next employment.
Meeting was adjourned at 8:35 pm. The next board meeting is Monday, September 20, 2010.