Allegan District Library Board of Trustees
August 20, 2013
The regular Board meeting was called to order by President Kiella at 7:00 pm. Present were: Trustees Catherine Hellmann, Sally Trabulsi, Carol Browne, Carol Garofalo, Jason Watts, Chris Antkoviak, Mike Kiella, Director Ann Perrigo and Administrative Assistant Evelyn Lyzenga.
There was discussion about the consent agenda procedures. Four items were noted:
• Any committee that meets will submit minutes that will be included in the consent agenda
• There will be written documents on all items on both the regular and consent agendas
• Committees will be included on the consent agenda if they do not have “actionable” items to present
• Any Board member who wants a full board discussion on a committee report/agenda item may put items on the full regular board agenda
The regular agenda was amended for correction and additions.
Trustee Watts moved to approve the consent agenda items presented; seconded by Trustee Trabulsi, passed.
Trustee Watts moved to pay the July bills in the amount of $114,225.00; seconded by Trustee Garofalo, passed.
Communications – none
Unfinished Business – none
• Director Perrigo referred to the Code of Conduct which is to be amended for “covered beverages” to be allowed in the library. Electronic cigarettes are included as items not allowed in the library. Trustee Browne moved to approve the policy as amended; Trustee Hellmann seconded, passed, Trustee Watts abstained.
• Laptop Policy – Director Perrigo shared that we purchased 4 laptops with BTOP grant monies we received last year. She showed a laptop with the new ADL label on top that Trustee Trabulsi designed. There will be a barcode on the bottom and library patrons can check a laptop out with their library card for in-house library use only. The Director asked that a laptop policy be drawn up by the Facilities Committee. Trustee Watts moved to remand the new policy to the Facilities Committee; Trustee Trabulsi seconded, passed.
• Search preparation – In light of Director Perrigo retiring next year, Trustee Browne started discussion on necessary preparation. The main points were:
o the Board should start the process now by visiting other libraries
o Board members volunteer to visit other libraries
o Trustee Watts mentioned Mike McGuire of GR (who has gone through this process) might come to speak to the Board
o Trustee Browne volunteered to call libraries and set up appointments, she will work with the Director.
o Trustee Kiella requested that libraries visited include people at existing libraries and library educators (academia) to get a broad vision of the future of libraries
o Trustee Watts and Trustee Kiella volunteered to assist in this process
o After gathering information Trustee Antkoviak suggested the need of a Saturday session. He suggested that a date be chosen early on.
o Director Perrigo will email to all Board members an excellent document on searching for a director
It was noted that the Board would appreciate input of value from others outside of Board.
• Bylaws – need to be revised. Bylaws committee members are Trustees Watts, Hellmann and Antkoviak. Trustee Hellmann requested to be excused from this committee, granted. Director Perrigo will work with the committee chair on the revisions.
Board Member Comments: Trustee Browne will be out of town for next month’s board meeting. Trustee Watts reported on the success of the Allegan County GOP meeting here at the library with 40 people and Representative Fred Upton attending. Director Perrigo had a wonderful vacation in New York.
Trustee Watts moved to adjourn, seconded by Trustee Hellmann. Meeting adjourned at 7:50 pm.