Allegan District Library Board of Trustees
April 16, 2013
Regular board meeting was called to order by Vice President Carol Browne at 7:00 pm. Present were: Trustees Jason Watts, Chris Antkoviak, Carol Garofalo, Carol Browne, Catherine Hellmann, Sally Trabulsi, Director Ann Perrigo and Administrative Assistant Evelyn Lyzenga.
Agenda – Trustee Trabulsi moved, Trustee Watts seconded, to accept the agenda as is. Approved. Trustee Kiella was excused.
Trustee Trabulsi moved to approve the March minutes, seconded by Trustee Watts, motion passed and minutes were approved as published with correction.
Statistical and financial reports were reviewed. Trustee Trabulsi noted that Allegan citizens are very technologically advanced as shown in the March statistics. All reports were approved as published.
No public comment.
Director noted she is extremely busy with:
• the revision of the grant for restoration of the soffit of the 1914 Carnegie building
• getting staff reviews and resulting pay increases done that affect the new 2013-2014 budget.
Director Perrigo mentioned that the Allegan Expo was very worthwhile for the library with increased activity of the online services, library cards and those entered into our 3 giveaways. Other items noted were:
• contracting with Scot Rumery on our website and checking with him on List Serve
• a visit with Steve Wisnewski about the Affordable Care Act and its impact if any on the Library
• April meeting of the Allegan County Library Assn will be here Thursday, April 18th. The ADL Calendar was reviewed especially the board’s activity coming up on the new budget for 2013-2014.
Friends Committee – Trustee Garofalo reported that the Friends are observing Library Appreciation Week (April 15 through 19th) with treats everyday for the staff . The Friends’ financial report was reviewed and accepted. The Friends’ minutes were accepted with corrections.
Budget Committee – Trustee Watts said the committee will have a proof of the new 2013-2014 budget emailed to the board for consideration. A May Public Hearing date was set for 7:15 p.m., Tuesday, May 21st – 1st reading of next year’s budget, with the consideration that the date may be changed if needed.
Personnel Committee – Trustee Browne inquired about the health insurance along with this year’s increase. It was decided to look at the health insurance plan when it comes up for renewal.
Facilities Committee – Director Perrigo reported on the phone call with the SHPO office. The result of that discussion is that the grant has to be revised due to the lower than expected bids opened March 18th, and the inconstancies between bid responses making comparison impractical. Going forward on the revised RFP:
• The new advertisement will again be in 3 area papers and the Builders Exchange
• The whole soffit area around the 1914 Carnegie building will be included in this work
• The invitation for bid is a “firm fixed price bid”.
• Mandatory walk through will be Friday, April 26th
• Bids are to be in by Monday, May 6th at 5:00 p.m.
• Special board meeting will meet at 7:00 p.m., Monday, May 6th. The agenda for this meeting will be one item – open, assess and make a decision on the bids submitted.
The issue of bed bug policy is not a policy but rather a procedure, to be developed by the Director. Covered beverages will be allowed in the library for a trial period of three months. The whole board agreed and ask that the Director keep them abreast.
Marketing and Communication Committee – Trustee Trabulsi reported on a grant available for a program called “Pushing the Limits”. After discussion, Trustee Browne along with Trustee Hellmann will write the grant application and submit it before the May 15th deadline. Trustee Garofalo will call to find out the resources available through this program. Trustee Garofalo is having another Travel Group meeting on April 26th at 3:30 p.m.
Strategic Planning Committee: Trustee Browne passed out the ADL 2013 Action Plan. Marketing & Communication and Technology areas of action were discussed along with completion and/or ongoing activity. Trustee Browne expressed her desire to cover at least a couple of these areas at each board meeting. Trustee Watts shared that Trustee Kiella was making progress on an Emergency Plan.
Bills to be paid: Trustee Watts, seconded by Trustee Garofalo, moved to pay the bills totaling $27,833.23. Passed.
Communications – Director Perrigo directed everyone’s attention to the letter to the professor at Michigan State overseeing the Downtown Riverfront Plan. The final plan should be published on the City of Allegan’s website soon.
There was no Unfinished Business.
There was no New Business.
No Board Members comments.
The meeting was adjourned at 8:47 p.m. Next meeting is May 21, 2013.
Administrative Assistant to the Library