Minutes of Board of Trustees
Allegan District Library
April 15, 2014
The monthly meeting of the Board was called to order by President Kiella at 7:00 pm. Present were Trustees: Jason Watts, Sally Trabulsi, Carol Garofalo, Carol Browne, Mike Kiella, Chris Antkoviak, Catherine Hellmann, Director Lindsey Dorfman and Administrative Assistant Evelyn Lyzenga. Board members gave a warm welcome to Lindsey Dorfman, new director of the Library.
All present said the Pledge of Allegiance.
The Director’s report was moved from the consent agenda to the regular agenda after Communications. Trustee Watts moved to accept the consent agenda as revised, which included the minutes of communications and marketing committee, seconded by Trustee Trabulsi, passed.
A quorum is present.
No public comment.
No committee reports.
Trustee Watts moved, seconded by Trustee Garofalo, to accept the bills to be paid in the amount of $19,841.94 and payroll of $20,555.61 for a total March bills and payroll of $40,397.55. Passed. Two additional bills in the amount of $2,877.75, the Michigan gas bill and the Fifth Third credit card statement were paid per motion by Trustee Watts, seconded by Trustee Trabulsi, passed.
Communications: Trustee Watts read a card from Ann Perrigo, the former director, who thanked the Board for the retirement dinner and gifts along with the retirement reception. She also thanked the Board for all the good years of working together.
Director Dorfman expressed that she was glad to be here and how welcoming everyone has been. It is the best transition into a new library she has ever had. She has a quote for the removal of our bats for $3,475.00. The Director volunteered to try to clean up the evidence of bats in the upstairs storage room. After some discussion, President Kiella ask the Director to go ahead with finding a solution to the bats. Due to the heavy snow and ice of this past winter, there are approximately 30 roof tiles to replace since they are broken or fallen off the roof. Director Dorfman has met with Fred Allen and received an invoice for $900.00 to do this repair work. The Director will look into insurance coverage for the roof tile repairs.
Bylaws update: Trustee Watts said that the bylaws update is progressing. He will be meeting with Trustee Antkoviak to go over the final revision. He is sorting out what are truly bylaws by comparing with other municipalities. Evie compiled very helpful bylaw changes. President Kiella requested this item be added to the May agenda. Trustee Browne requested a draft of the bylaws be sent to all members of the Board. Per Trustee Watts that draft will show where each change is done. Trustee Antkoviak noted that a lot of bylaws are subjective and are a work in progress.
Strategic Plan: Trustee Browne drew everyone’s attention to page 3 of the ADL 2014 Action Plan, specifically to the item entitled “Hire library designer and architect” and the next 4 items in that column, all pertaining to a renovation and/or remodeling project. Trustee Browne stated that the Board needs to move forward rather quickly on the renovation plan. For the moment the idea is to situate the main entrance of the library at the bottom of south wall and put in an elevator. Discussion yielded the following:
• Probably need a millage request or bonding issue for the project per Trustee Watts
•After some discussion Trustee Antkoviak suggested it is up to the board to decide what renovation/remodeling is to be done. He also suggested that there may be other renovation and/or remodeling options.
• Already have heard from patrons about their thoughts via the strategic survey done in 2009 per Trustee Browne. The Board might want to survey patrons again.
• The Board has lots of questions; such as, needing a professional to give the Board ideas and approximate cost; decide what to do first; are we going to invest in this building?
• Trustee Browne called for a straw poll asking those committed to our current building to raise their hands; all present raised hands apart from Trustee Watts who stated that he would need more information before making a decision.
• Through this project it may give rise to forming a “Foundation” to support the library expansion-renovation-remodeling project.
Trustee Browne asked Director Dorfman to check with her Director friends to help the Board think through how to get started. President Kiella requested the Director to:
• Figure out who to talk to
• Contact Brian Conway from the State Historical Preservation Office
• Ask Rob Hillard to come to the Board’s May meeting
• Talk to Ryan Wieber at the Van Buren District Library
The Automatic Electronic Defibulator is another action plan item and since it is now mounted in the library, Director Dorfman was asked to have staff training done by Tom Misner. The Director did say she is trained in using the defibulator.
President Kiella requested that a “renovation activity report” be added to the May agenda.
2014-2015 Budget Discussion: this board discussion yielded these main points:
• Fixing of a parity issue in regard to employee pay for one employee
• Pay increases suggested by the Personnel Committee for 2014-2015 to be effective July 1st, 2014
• 2014-2015 budget remanded over to the Budget-Finance Committee which will meet on Wednesday, April 23rd at noon in the Carnegie Room.
Board Comments: The Board again welcomed the new Director – Lindsey Dorfman. Trustee Watts mentioned a phone call on April 7th from Ryan Wieber regarding a reciprocal borrowing agreement with Van Buren District Library.
Meeting adjourned at 8:45 pm. Next board meeting is May 20, 2014.