Our library offers a wide range of free services for senior citizens and for caregivers of individuals who cannot physically come to the library. We have:
- Audiobooks – CD, Playaway and e-audio Books
- E-books – download to your computer/device
- CDs – Music and language
- Movies – 3 day DVDs & videos, 3-week described & non-fiction videos; 2 week nonfiction DVDs
- Large Print Books – large collection
- Remote renewals & holds – log in (library card # & last name needed) to Alexandria, our online card catalog – renew books; place holds that may be picked up at ADL the next day.
- Remote Interlibrary Loan – log into MeL on our home page to order books we do not have at ADL. We will call you when your order comes in.
- Caregiver pickup – send a note or phone to have a caregiver pick up MeL books or books on hold.
For the visually impaired, the library has available two “MonoMouses”. It is a small portable magnifier and works by:
1. simply plugging it in to your existing television
2. scrolling the “mouse” over the text you wish to read
3. it scans the page, bill, etc. and transmits enlarged text to your television .
The stylish device is specifically designed to allow people who have sight difficulties to read any book in the library or other reading material. If you would like to try a MonoMouse, please ask any librarian or call (269) 673-4625. It may be checked out for three weeks. The MonoMouse and everything you need comes in a bag to check out.
Links to helpful senior websites:
- Administration on Aging
- Benefits Check Up
- Eldercare Locator
- Family Caregiver Alliance
- Meals on Wheels
- National Council on the Aging
- Senior Living Map
- Social Security Administration